5.3 Gen 4 flex fuel afm dod delete need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DomKs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, first time posting, I have 140,000 on my 07 Tahoe no VVT had to strip it down for a jammed up dod exhaust lifter. This is a daily driver, and I’m looking for something with nice low end power when I hit the accelerator I want it to go, but i also want to cruise in it. I want the whole package, vlom replaced with a block off plate, stage 2 cam, push rods (if necessary), spring kit, roller rockers (if worth it), oil pump (if worth it) upgraded timing chain and sprockets (if worth it) intake manifold, headers, cat back exhaust nothing really loud something quiet till you punch it. I want durability, I want to tow something if I need to, I also want to upgrade the valve body in the transmission I have everything ready to go I just can’t decide on parts what are some of the best most complete kits for DOD AFM delete, and how bout the trans? Trans go? Sonnax kits? Please point me in the right direction much appreciated.
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 140,000

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first time posting, I have 140,000 on my 07 Tahoe no VVT had to strip it down for a jammed up dod exhaust lifter. This is a daily driver, and I’m looking for something with nice low end power when I hit the accelerator I want it to go, but i also want to cruise in it. I want the whole package, vlom replaced with a block off plate, stage 2 cam, push rods (if necessary), spring kit, roller rockers (if worth it), oil pump (if worth it) upgraded timing chain and sprockets (if worth it) intake manifold, headers, cat back exhaust nothing really loud something quiet till you punch it. I want durability, I want to tow something if I need to, I also want to upgrade the valve body in the transmission I have everything ready to go I just can’t decide on parts what are some of the best most complete kits for DOD AFM delete, and how bout the trans? Trans go? Sonnax kits? Please point me in the right direction much appreciated.
@NickTransmissions is a great mentor here with the transmission stuff. And the rest of this crew on this ship ill try to help out with that topic as well the rest. ;)

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What transmission?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions is a great mentor here with the transmission stuff. And the rest of this crew on this ship ill try to help out with that topic as well the rest. ;)
Do you have a 4L60E or 6L80? Noticed that you have basically the same vehicle as the OP so thinking the transmission is prob the same as his also...

Also OP seems to be all over the place with what he wants to do relative to the upgrades he wants to install...Tow, racing, cruising, drag strip.

If he has a 4L60E and wants to do all of the above, that thing will need to come out for overhaul and a boat load of upgrades beyond the valve body, lol.

OP
OP
D

DomKs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What transmission?
4L60E plastic accumulators and all, none were cracked but I’ve done a few pinless accumulators before and I just want a kit that has everything for the valve body I need without taking the trans out. I have the valve body out already, and have enough work to do with the motor so any complete valve body kit to make the trans somewhat bulletproof would be great.

OP
OP
D

DomKs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a 4L60E or 6L80? Noticed that you have basically the same vehicle as the OP so thinking the transmission is prob the same as his also...

Also OP seems to be all over the place with what he wants to do relative to the upgrades he wants to install...Tow, racing, cruising, drag strip.

If he has a 4L60E and wants to do all of the above, that thing will need to come out for overhaul and a boat load of upgrades beyond the valve body, lol.
No drag strip, no racing just an occasional tow, something that can get out of its own way, and something decent on the highway to drive. Dependability, durability, and smoothness if possible

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4L60E plastic accumulators and all, none were cracked but I’ve done a few pinless accumulators before and I just want a kit that has everything for the valve body I need without taking the trans out. I have the valve body out already, and have enough work to do with the motor so any complete valve body kit to make the trans somewhat bulletproof would be great.
Watch my two videos on the 4L60E: HD2 Kit install and 4L60E High Performance Mods PT 4 - VB and spacer plate

The Transgo HD2 kit is the best out-of-the-box solution for the 4L60E so I'd go with that. Follow the instructions and it's more or less plug and play...

That said, you're going to need to touch more than just the valve body otherwise there's no point in doing anything. Spacer plate feed orifices and band release need to be drilled per your desired shift firmness as well as converter stall speed...Generally, stock stall with mild engine power upgrades, .093 for everything except the 1-2 and L/R....076-.080 for 1-2 feed if running a vette servo (greater if higher stall), pinless accumulators are great so install them, install a Corvette (093) 2nd gear servo and ensure you get band clearance right (.075-.125 servo travel - check it first with no o-rings or sealing rings on the servo assembly). The HD2 kit will give you all the stuff you need to convert the TCC Reg valve to an on-off configuration but DO NOT use it if you end up keeping the VVT/ACM active on your engine. The 3-2 shift valve is blocked as well using their purple coiled spring...

You can take the low-reverse check ball out and drill the L/R feed to .086 for firmer engagement in reverse if you want...If it's too firm, simply reinstall the check ball into the capsule.

Post back if you have any questions...

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gear ratio do you have? I'm guessing you are also going to get a tune for the AFM/DOD delete? Tune for the cam over the base tune will also be required.

I'm just learning about camshaft selection, but it seems like a common mistake is a lot of guys tend to "over-cam" if there's such a term. I would say before purchasing, call the camshaft company that sells them and give them your specs and needs/wants. Just be mindful that come companies are just trying to push and sell their specific products.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... common mistake is a lot of guys tend to "over-cam" if there's such a term ...
Peak horsepower sells stuff, but average horsepower, aka torque, wins races, AND can even improve MpG in certain situations.

That's why I'd prefer an LQ4 than my L59 (too bad I can't afford it, YET ...)

Vast majority of our engines spend the vast majority of our time UNDER 2500RpM.
That's where the cam upgrade needs to shine, especially in a 4WD Tahoe or 'burban.

OP
OP
D

DomKs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I sincerely appreciate the in depth answer. I’m assuming the transmission has to be removed for this? To be honest valve body work is all I’ve done. I’ve never really taken an automatic transmission apart before. As far as motor work I can do whatever, I just don’t know what the best bang for my buck is ya know? I’m getting rid of the AFM, I have to, i won’t replace it, exhaust lifter jammed up causing nasty, hesitation, popping, there’s no VVT. What’s your opinion on AFM delete kits, Texas speed, BTR? I’m looking for the most complete kit for the best price buying this stuff piece by piece is difficult. I don’t want to go through all this just to put stock stuff back in. I’ll handle the transmission with your suggestion, I read a lot about that kit. I’m looking for a dependable powerful daily driver not a loud monster truck. I just want to put it together and not have to constantly be messing around with it. Does that make sense? Thank you
What gear ratio do you have? I'm guessing you are also going to get a tune for the AFM/DOD delete? Tune for the cam over the base tune will also be required.

I'm just learning about camshaft selection, but it seems like a common mistake is a lot of guys tend to "over-cam" if there's such a term. I would say before purchasing, call the camshaft company that sells them and give them your specs and needs/wants. Just be mindful that come companies are just trying to push and sell their specific products.
yes a tune also is needed I know. the main thing AFM delete, just lookin for a reliable stage 2 maybe 3 low lift something for torque , I believe I have 373s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660