4x4 Fluid Change...Fluids?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiamiDave

Reaction score
Getting my 2011 4x4 6spd with locking rear's front, rear, and transfer case done at the dealership, and was wondering what fluids and weights are involved. Do both front and rear need friction modifiers-or neither? Thank you :)

Last edited:

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me confused. :)

Why would you be changing these fluids in a 2011 already?

skippy737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im gonna hit the brakes, he'll fly right by.... YOU'RE GONNA DO WWWHHHAAATTT?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He must have a lot of miles or off-roads and submerges the diffs. I know the dealer here tried to push fluid changes at 30k, but I changed at 50k before the recommended intervals (60k) in the manual because the fluid was black.

Dave, look at the manual because it has the recommended fluid specs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MiamiDave

Reaction score
It has 6K on it and not 4x4'ed or abused. I'm a big believer in changing fluids early when a vehicle is new. Wished I did it 2K miles ago when I went to full syn in the engine. I cannot possibly explain all of the reasons why.

Last edited:

scribble

Reaction score
I know the manual says to do it at 60k but having seen the fluid they put in the front diff on assembly I changed mine with the 1st oil change. The fluid in the front diff has in the past been almost like the old break in oil engines used to come with were you changed it at 1k. Seen many front diffs look like crap inside due to the fluid staying in for so long.

OP
OP
M

MiamiDave

Reaction score
UPDATE: Dealership tried to talk me out of it-twice :shocked:

These guys were like at least wait till 15K, do you tow a lot (I don't), etc...
Long story short they allowed me to observe the fluids as they drained:

Front: Black. Lots of metal shavings...magnetic plug completely covered with metal bits several mm deep.

Transfer case: Still pretty good color, minor metal.

Rear: Jet black metal shavings as well.

Quote mechanic when he first observed the front diff: "How many miles do you have? This is worse than I thought it would be."

Coupon $279. Good people, bringing my other truck next week...

Last edited:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear MiamiDave,

I have read your posts about your service on your vehicle. I am glad to read that they allowed you to watch some of this service being done. Do you notice anything within the vehicle since it has been done?

Sincerely,
Michelle, GM Customer Service assisting Elizabeth

OP
OP
M

MiamiDave

Reaction score
Dear MiamiDave,

I have read your posts about your service on your vehicle. I am glad to read that they allowed you to watch some of this service being done. Do you notice anything within the vehicle since it has been done?

Sincerely,
Michelle, GM Customer Service assisting Elizabeth

Nothing specific, I just feel better that all of those fluids are fresh and the magnets cleaned. The service was outstanding, and I will even be taking my other vehicles (non gm) there. Many times, high dollar service is done in a vacuum, with the customer not even knowing what was done-or if. The staff was honest, the mechanic took his time, and cared for my vehicle. Glad to give them my business, and felt a good amount of value for my money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84