4wd vs. 4wd z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyGirl89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s the difference in the suspension parts between a regular 4wd Tahoe vs a z71 4wd Tahoe? I know the rear springs are different lengths but what about the front suspension?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the difference in the suspension parts between a regular 4wd Tahoe vs a z71 4wd Tahoe? I know the rear springs are different lengths but what about the front suspension?
I’m pretty sure the Z71 came with different shocks. Rancho, I believe. At least that’s what I had on my 2004 & 2005 Z71 Silverados. If remember correctly, my trucks also came with a full skid plate package.

OP
OP
C

ChevyGirl89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe had the rough country level lift with rear spring spacers and rough country shocks on it when I bought it. Since then I upgraded to the bilstein shocks. But we just drove to Tennessee yesterday and between everyone, luggage, hitch rack and cooler it’s squatting pretty good to where the right bump will have the tires scrub the fender liners. I have just seen the z71s sit higher and wanted to the what was different in suspension parts.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe my 2004 Tahoe Z71 came with Bilstein shocks. Mine are a little crusty, but from the looks of it... I believe they are the originals that came with it. Still work fine. Coming up on 200k miles soon.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there are OE suspensions other than the Z71 and the Premium Smooth Ride (maybe someone here knows) but the PSR rear springs are softer than the Z71's, and the PSR has Nivomat self-adjusting rear shocks that complement the softer springs.

I'm not aware of the front shock technical differences, but the aftermarket shocks are different part numbers for the different suspensions. I suspect that the PSR system has somewhat softer front shocks, but I have nothing to back that up.

EDIT: it looks like there is also a Z55 Autoride suspension available

OP
OP
C

ChevyGirl89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put the bilstein shock on that are intended for a level lift. I just didn’t know if any other front suspension parts differ since the z71s look like they sit a little higher than a ls/lt

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the bilstein shock on that are intended for a level lift. I just didn’t know if any other front suspension parts differ since the z71s look like they sit a little higher than a ls/lt
If i recall correctly the only difference other than the shock might be the bump stop and how the torsion bars are set. I think the Z71 has different bump stops to work with torsion bars that are set for a higher ride height. That being said, it’s been a few years since I’ve owned or messed with that generation of truck.

OP
OP
C

ChevyGirl89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First pic is with just luggage, 2nd pic is was 2adults and baby on 2nd row and 1 third row seat with an adult. The luggage is in the other side of where the third row seat would be. It scrubs depending on how much lean there is while turning and depending on the bumps. We recently purchased a camper too so I figure the z71 spring would help out all around? Just not sure if I should ditch the rear spacer or keep it?

0CA500FE-9411-4B7D-ABB9-18EB149517E8.jpeg8E7E362F-33D3-4AA1-A723-595BFCB038CC.jpeg

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. Umm. Would maybe the Suburban rear springs have a higher weight capacity?

While it is not a Tahoe, my 95 f150 sagged bad with moderate weight. So i pulled out the factory spring spacer and put in a set of 2wd 8800 gvw f250 camper special springs. It gave me 1 inch of rake, but when loaded with my usual tools and equipment ( 500-600lbs) it sits dead level.
So maybe some 2500 burb springs would help if the drop in place of the stockers.

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
If I remember correctly from reading on here, I believe that the z71 springs are 300 lbs heavier spring rate. Several discussion on here around the fact that replacing regular Tahoe springs with z71 springs would give about 1-1.5 inch rise in the rear due to the stiffer compression rate.

Not sure how this compares to a 2500 spring as mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins