Exhaust joint gasket - y pipe to muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy St Patrick day!

2002 Yukon 4x4, 5.3 FF. 224k miles. The exhaust connection right after the Y pipe, to the muffler, drips condensate while the engine is warming up. Is there supposed to be a gasket at that connection? There's only 2 bolts. A shop changed out my Y pipes a few years ago, but I don't recall seeing condensation dripping from that joint before.

Thanks for any info

1000002983.jpg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 FF does, too. I thought the shop that did my rear main didn't get it sealed properly but I found a video of long before showing the same thing. Curious if you find anything out.

OP
OP
afpj

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've seen a lot of parts diagrams, mostly aftermarket, and the pictures seem to imply there should be a gasket there. I saw a post where one guy had an avalanche, gen 3, who did not have a gasket there and one other person agreed that there's no gasket, but this is a really low N number, so I really don't have a solid answer at this point. Starting to think that it depends on whether it's an OEM or aftermarket setup. Mine is OEM. So if there's not supposed to be a gasket there, how do you get rid of the leak? From what I've read, the torque specs for those two bolts are 30 ft lb.

Kermode

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I was changing out the exhaust on mine (2005 Tahoe) It was all original and there was no gasket in there....it's a ball and socket kind of fitting that allows a bit of movement if needed. Which can also be annoying as they can squeak from time to time. I was just under there removing the torsion bars and mine had some black soot marks at the very bottom of it also indicating there is a little moisture coming out of that joint. guess it's normal?!?

OP
OP
afpj

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in! thats an N of maybe 5 Now. The ball and socket makes sense based on what I see on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts