4L80e swap - who has done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having some transmission issues. Shifting weird and not downshifting etc. I changed the 1-2 2-3 shift solenoids today. Problem comes back intermittently. Probably going to try the pressure solenoid and if that doesn't fix it I'll make a boat anchor out of it. Before I shell out $600-1000 bucks fixing a transmission that's going to go out again I'd rather spend $1500 and put in a 4L80e and not worry anymore. Anyone on here actually done it?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission flush and pull the valve body and fix the stick valves. If you are stock then your "wicked" 285-330hp isnt tearing that transmission up.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission flush and pull the valve body and fix the stick valves. If you are stock then your "wicked" 285-330hp isnt tearing that transmission up.

lol I agree my uber powerful 5.3 isn't tearing it up. That said I am planning a turbo upgrade(only 6-8 psi to help with pulling, not racing) at the beginning of next year which is why I don't want to dump a ton of money in to this 60e. Thanks for the info though. Guess I know what I'm doing next weekend.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much HP are you planning on? Used 4l80e or a built new 4l60e to 4l65e specs. You have options. I have a 4l60e (99 OBS Sierra) with just over 265k miles. Rebuilt tranny at 120k and its still going strong. Sierra pulls a 5400lb 32ft camper.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much HP are you planning on? Used 4l80e or a built new 4l60e to 4l65e specs. You have options. I have a 4l60e (99 OBS Sierra) with just over 265k miles. Rebuilt tranny at 120k and its still going strong. Sierra pulls a 5400lb 32ft camper.

Looking to get about 380-400ish hp around 450 ftlbs. Like I said it's to pull better. Not to race. It will be used to pull a 6000ish pound enclosed trailer possibly more.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I would build the tranny you got if it were me instead of going through the hassles of 4l80e conversion. 5 pinion planetary sets all over ebay. Corvette servo can be had anywhere. Kevlar 2-4 band the same. Hi energy clutch kits. Z pack if you wanna spend a few bucks more. Beast sunshell or equivalent and all valve body updates that are needed. Where most people go wrong during a rebuild is putting in a oem style rebuild kit and end up with oem towing results. These trannys just arent that strong when new oem but can be relatively easily without emptying your wallet.
All of the above isnt much more than an oem rebuild.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I would build the tranny you got if it were me instead of going through the hassles of 4l80e conversion. 5 pinion planetary sets all over ebay. Corvette servo can be had anywhere. Kevlar 2-4 band the same. Hi energy clutch kits. Z pack if you wanna spend a few bucks more. Beast sunshell or equivalent and all valve body updates that are needed. Where most people go wrong during a rebuild is putting in a oem style rebuild kit and end up with oem towing results. These trannys just arent that strong when new oem but can be relatively easily without emptying your wallet.
All of the above isnt much more than an oem rebuild.

What you're saying makes sense. I'm not transmission savy so I prefer the nearly bolt on side of things. When you say not much more than an oem rebuild kit how much are you saying? Looking like a 80e swap is going to run $2500 or more. I found a 60e rebuild kit for $185.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261420587326

So if I can build this one for not much more and make reliable I'd give it a try.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The code I'm getting now is

P0756 - shift solenoid b performance or stuck off.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The code I'm getting now is

P0756 - shift solenoid b performance or stuck off.
Those solenoids apply certain valves within your valve body. Most likely the valve that solenoid "b" affects is getting sticky or there is a bur in its bore that it rides in. These things happen with wear and tear. Easy fix at the tranny shop when it gets rebuilt. The alto kit you referenced above will do you well. Go for atleast the heavy duty clutch packs if not the heavy/high performance black with graphite fleck clutch packs. The alto OEI 3-4 clutch kit is essentially the old "z pack" recipe which adds extra clutches and steels. Thats what you want for towing. Then all you needs is a corvette servo ($20), Beast equivalent sunshell ($75-$100) and a 5 pin 65e planetary. Id ask your tranny builder if they have any around in the shop. They usually do. Tell him a used good one will do if the price is right. Shouldnt be much more than $75. Dont forget a kevlar 2-4 band ($15) Then you have a tranny that is built and made for towing. Drive it like you are towing instead of racing and it will serve you well.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those solenoids apply certain valves within your valve body. Most likely the valve that solenoid "b" affects is getting sticky or there is a bur in its bore that it rides in. These things happen with wear and tear. Easy fix at the tranny shop when it gets rebuilt. The alto kit you referenced above will do you well. Go for atleast the heavy duty clutch packs if not the heavy/high performance black with graphite fleck clutch packs. The alto OEI 3-4 clutch kit is essentially the old "z pack" recipe which adds extra clutches and steels. Thats what you want for towing. Then all you needs is a corvette servo ($20), Beast equivalent sunshell ($75-$100) and a 5 pin 65e planetary. Id ask your tranny builder if they have any around in the shop. They usually do. Tell him a used good one will do if the price is right. Shouldnt be much more than $75. Dont forget a kevlar 2-4 band ($15) Then you have a tranny that is built and made for towing. Drive it like you are towing instead of racing and it will serve you well.

Thanks for Info. Going to go by the transmission guys today and talk to him. I'll let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn