4 ch amp questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a amp for free and I already have rockford door speakers. My question is, can i just cut the factory door speaker wires from the head unit without issues and run them to this amp so i dont have to run all new wires through the doors?

D40007D4-7971-4AB0-BC17-B11F73C8ED9F.jpeg

What about the rca cable or is that what these colored speaker level input is for? I havent done a 4 ch amp since 06 so i kinda forgotten some stuff haha

D6EFC5F6-D002-4D20-8D34-90682E4EAA78.jpeg

Thanks

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Depends on your HU as to what you can do.

If your HU is aftermarket you can run RCAs from it to the amp and then cut and run the existing speaker wires to the amp.

If the HU is stock then you could cut the wires coming from the stereo to the stock amp and hook them to the speaker level inputs and cut the wires going to the speakers and hook them to the new amp.

Or you could run all new wiring to the doors but that is more work.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Knew i forgot something. Yea its a stock hu.

Thanks for the info, i was second guessing myself...

You might check the PPV section...
I think @Ron C might know where to get a harness to keep from cutting the stock wiring harness.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think @Ron C might know where to get a harness to keep from cutting the stock wiring harness.

Hi there, '@Ron C' here ... What I did was put an OEM NAV radio in (with GPS and also, as of today a backup camera).

The solution I went for was to sorta "replicate" the 'factory Bose install' I have an SSV, and the dash harness is different than it is for a Tahoe (or so) that already is setup to do the NAV and entertainment. If you don't have that, but only the "basic audio" you'd need a 'conversion harness' With just the conversion harnes things mostly work, BUT volume is low and chimes are gone.

I got a "plug and play harness-amp" from MVI, it is sort of the Bose like solution for that conversion, and it works really well. The Bose Amp/harness connects between the dash harness and the conversion harness, no cutting/splicing required for that... which I like.

I have a thread with that in the SSV/PPV section.

Ron

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

right, nowadays, with everything 'computer' you don't want to cut and splice into a vehicles harness too much, the 'computer' might get signals it doesn't expect and that might cause all kinds of mayhem. It's not like tapping into 12V 'here' and grounding it 'there' like with my '79 CJ. The vehicle's 'computer' is in charge of pretty much everything.

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC