4.56 Gears Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fco_gonzo

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
Not sure you will be able to hit 20mpg with a 4speed trans. Mine has the 6 speed, so the top gear is well suited for highway driving. Be sure to reset your MPG monitor on the dash (if yours has it), itll take a tank or two for the computer to catch up. At least mine did.

Im aware of it, but just wishful thinking, lol!!

OP
OP
fco_gonzo

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
Still in the break in period, but so far I can't complain. I should've done a while back.

Drippin Wett

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site. This is an upgrade I really want to do also. I just bought a 2003 with a 6" and 35's. I'm gonna guess this is hardly a DIY. If you don't mind me asking what kind of money would I be looking at to do both front and rear gears. I'm also wanting to get the Black Bear tune.

OP
OP
fco_gonzo

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
I went through desert rat , it's an off road shop, they worked out the details. Paid about $1300, and it took them about 6/7 hours. Still no complaints, should have done this earlier.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through desert rat , it's an off road shop, they worked out the details. Paid about $1300, and it took them about 6/7 hours. Still no complaints, should have done this earlier.

Was that $1300 for front and rear (parts and labor)? If so that is a good price. Based on some threads most were charging ~$800 per axle.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
I was told 1300 from a shop around me.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Another member said it cost him 1200 at the dealer.

OP
OP
fco_gonzo

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
$1300 out the door. I went to a shop that has done many of these swaps, I didn't want to risk it with a tech at the dealership who is learning with my car. Do your homework before committing.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

About a year ago I was quoted $1150 from the same shop, I could have haggled them down but I didn't feel I was getting screwed cosindering 4wheel parts was asking close to 1500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401