4.11s or 3.73s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrwick_02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have an 03 Tahoe z71 with 3.73s stock, and I'm about to install a truetrac in the rear and was wondering if I should change the gears to 4.11s or just keep the stock 3.73s... I plan on installing a TSP Chopacabra truck cam, long tube headers, tbss intake, and getting it tuned and I've already got the transmission fully built. I'm also planning to throw on some 22 inch honeycombs with tires that match stock tire diameter. Current mods so far are the built racing tranny, and the volant CAI.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.11's youll gain alot off the line and lose some top end. 3.73's You'll lose some to alot off the line and have your topend intact. It all boils down to that UNLESS you are making a towing vehicle that you intend to haul with alot.

So you're making a racecar out of a SUV? "That's heavy man!" --Cheech

OP
OP
M

Mrwick_02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4.11's youll gain alot off the line and lose some top end. 3.73's You'll lose some to alot off the line and have your topend intact. It all boils down to that UNLESS you are making a towing vehicle that you intend to haul with alot.

So you're making a racecar out of a SUV? "That's heavy man!" --Cheech
I was thinking the same. And yeah I'm trying to make it fast... I've seen some tahoes run 13s-12s which is pretty impressive... I probably won't be able to get to that point unless I throw boost at it but it would still be fun.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll gain a little bit off the line, not a wild amount. If it's in the budget it can't hurt, but you'll see more off the line gains for similar money by going to a stall converter (if you haven't already). If you plan to boost in the future I'd doubly stick with the 3.73s. It will only diminish your returns going to 4.11s.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The lower the gear, the smaller the pinion size and therefore you stand a better chance of damage to that pinion under very heavy torque. Your call at that point and changing both should also not be done on the cheap. The quality gear kits will be $$$.

OP
OP
M

Mrwick_02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'll gain a little bit off the line, not a wild amount. If it's in the budget it can't hurt, but you'll see more off the line gains for similar money by going to a stall converter (if you haven't already). If you plan to boost in the future I'd doubly stick with the 3.73s. It will only diminish your returns going to 4.11s.
What kind of stall converter would be good?... It has a stock converter. I don't plan on boost, I want to make as much power as possible N/A.

OP
OP
M

Mrwick_02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The lower the gear, the smaller the pinion size and therefore you stand a better chance of damage to that pinion under very heavy torque. Your call at that point and changing both should also not be done on the cheap. The quality gear kits will be $$$.
Well what's the most torque you've seen out of a 5.3 N/A... I plan on making as much power N/A as possible on a 5.3.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like a small amount of power out of my stock engine. I was wanting more out of my Z71 with the 3.42 gear and then won the raffle at BBP for a traditional tune on mine and that power I wanted is now there. The other alternative was a 3.73 gear, like I had in my 02 LT. What you are wanting to do is not in my realm. My info was just that, info to keep in mind about changing gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal