3rd Brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
On my 03 Tahoe the 3rd brake light isn't working. I tested the plug and it does get power. I took off the assembly to check bulbs but I couldn't see a way of opening it up. Is there a way to open the brake light assembly to change bulbs? It can't be sealed. And I find it strange that all the lights quit working. I got a ticket the other day for failure to maintain by the cops! Can anyone help me with this? I don't have to buy the entire assembly from the dealer do I?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those should be LED's in the light, so if you have power to the plug of the 3rd brake light, either you tear it open and find the bad connection or have to buy a new light!

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
How could you tear it open without damaging it? I've been looking on ebay and it seems no one sells used parts anymore!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you could take it apart without breaking it, I haven't run into the problem you are having!! I know some guys on here that have bought aftermarket versions of it and liked them, maybe one of them will chime in for you!! At least you know you have power to the plug, that alone usually gets folks all confused!!

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe those are sealed lights just like a headlight. The easiest way to open it would be to preheat your oven to i think 300. The turn the oven off and throw the light in. Let it sit there for 5-10 minutes checking it constantly to make sure it still good in there. Then after you take it out(with gloves) take two small flathead screwdrivers and pry the lense off. Putting it in the oven heats up the factory glue enabling you to open it. Much easier to buy a new one IMHO.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Heres a link to 2003 tahoe thrid brake lights on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&Model%20Year=2003

Skizzot

Reaction score
I believe those are sealed lights just like a headlight. The easiest way to open it would be to preheat your oven to i think 300. The turn the oven off and throw the light in. Let it sit there for 5-10 minutes checking it constantly to make sure it still good in there. Then after you take it out(with gloves) take two small flathead screwdrivers and pry the lense off. Putting it in the oven heats up the factory glue enabling you to open it. Much easier to buy a new one IMHO.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Heres a link to 2003 tahoe thrid brake lights on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&Model%20Year=2003

I've done this to headlights before and it works great. You will have to reseal the lens so buy a tube of sealant or you'll have water in it next and certainly be buying a new one.

My high mount doesn't work and I haven't bothered taking it apart. I get 12v at the connector but no light. When I hook up jumpers to the LED it will only power on at 18v+. I'm assuming that there's a circuit board pushing the LEDs. Post pics once you get it apart so I can decide if it's worth my time.

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are good with soldering etc. I wouldn't open it. You should just go on eBay and my another one. Just eBay "03 Tahoe 3rd brake light" one will pop up... They are about $50.00. Also you shouldn't get in trouble for not having a working 3rd brake light. If your other brake lights worked then it should have been fine. Fight the ticket, and F*ck the police.

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The unit itself is bad. It's all LEDs, it would cost more to fix it then to replace it. Get a new one.

xDan

Reaction score
I tried opening it up but whatever glue they used won't release at even 300°F, which is too hot. I softened the housing too much. 270°F is enough to not melt them and release the butyl but these 3rd brake lights are sealed with an epoxy. You would have to cut it open...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094