22 Yukon Exhaust Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdlsz24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 2022 Denali bought new a few months ago. It is leaking exhaust water at this joint so I can assume it’s also leaking exhaust itself. I tightened the clamp as much as I could but it’s still dripping, especially on first startup. Is this normal to leak from this joint? I would rather it go out the tailpipe. Yes it’s under warranty but I hate the hassle of going to the dealership, especially if they are going to tell me it’s fine.

Rob

Attachments

• E4D2A164-4445-4708-A3D5-98489D6B9AF7.jpeg
    E4D2A164-4445-4708-A3D5-98489D6B9AF7.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 40
  • D72D7C7A-7A8A-4C94-8986-C4E8F0F33881.jpeg
    D72D7C7A-7A8A-4C94-8986-C4E8F0F33881.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Condensation in the exhaust is normal and a lot of factory mufflers will have a drain hole in the bottom rear of the case. That's ahead of the muffler and, judging by the soot radiating towards the flex pipe, it looks like an actual leak. Tightening the clamp might not work if the joint is deformed (dropped or bumped during assembly?). You'd have to remove the clamp to clean and inspect the connecting surfaces. If you don't wanna get that deep, bring it to the dealer. It'd take far less time to do the work yourself if you're up for it.

OP
OP
R

rdlsz24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. When I was under there tightening I attempted to move the clamp out of the way to inspect the joint, but the clamp is unfortunately attached on the top to keep it from moving more than an inch or so each way. I will take another look to see if there is a way to detach it temporarily

Rob

ProudDenaliPapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. When I was under there tightening I attempted to move the clamp out of the way to inspect the joint, but the clamp is unfortunately attached on the top to keep it from moving more than an inch or so each way. I will take another look to see if there is a way to detach it temporarily

Rob
Having the exact same issue on my 22 YXL Denali. Took mine to the dealer and SA said, “we gave the clamp a turn to tighten it. Should be good.” Nope. Still leaking on garage floor. Did you get yours to stop?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a Service Bulletin specific to the LM2 (Duramax) regarding this joint leaking and causing a check engine light. Maybe the same procedure could be applied to your 6.2L Denali as well? Looks like the exact same type of exhaust joint... see bulletin for details.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting bulletin. I would assume the same could be done on the 6.2L. It's a similar ball and socket type of joint. I know they can be finicky to line up, but with some patience it works out. The hanger for the clamp is kind of a PITA, but if I remember correctly, it can be removed once everything is loosend up......it's been a couple years since I did that work through.

Purcilas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having the same exact issue. Took it to two dealers and they all say "this is normal" which I completely disagree with. It's damaging my garage floor and I can't park the Tahoe outside as it damages my pavers.

Called GM for one last try to resolve but, based on issues i keep seeing creep up for these year models, I will most likely sell my Tahoe. I already had another issue with it and I am concerned they will keep creeping up.

I feel the quality has gone down on these vehicles during the pandemic.

1679415139166.png

hansenc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having the same exact issue. Took it to two dealers and they all say "this is normal" which I completely disagree with. It's damaging my garage floor and I can't park the Tahoe outside as it damages my pavers.

Called GM for one last try to resolve but, based on issues i keep seeing creep up for these year models, I will most likely sell my Tahoe. I already had another issue with it and I am concerned they will keep creeping up.

I feel the quality has gone down on these vehicles during the pandemic.

View attachment 394944
Got a 2023 Tahoe with the same issue.

Did you ever get resolution on this? I talked to the dealership about this and was also told it’s normal but like you said it’s damaging garage floor and paver driveway.

Purcilas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nothing new. The dealer pretty much washed their hands and said to work with GMC.

Got a case opened with GMC and waiting on an update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz