2023 Yukon Denali 6.2L, Dead at 3600 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
Curious what you did to get GM to offer a buyback. Had my '22 Escalade 6.2 freeze up on I-10 leaving me and my son stranded in the middle of heavy traffic. Talk about scary. I've already had electrical issues with the vehicle having to replace the screens in the front. Now the dealership tells me that they're going to have to replace the engine. I called GM and their response was basically "only two more times with the same issue to go before we'll actually care and do something". Pretty ticked off to spend $100K on a vehicle and have these problems within a year. Not sure how I'm supposed to feel safe putting my wife and kids on the road with this hunk of junk.
I hear you. That’s extremely frustrating and I would have the same safety concerns being a family of four over here with two young children.

To be honest, I did nothing to help expedite this scenario with General Motors. While I don’t think my motor replacement situation was entirely unique, I do think the fact that I had the truck for exactly one month plus being under 4000 miles must be within their threshold for offering the buy back / Replacement option. The dealer also had my car for four weeks waiting on parts / repairs.

I’d be losing my mind if it was 3 months of ownership (for example) and this happened and GM told me to take a hike. I guess somewhat “lucky” in that respect on my end.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Just to report back in on my situation, I got my vehicle back today. What's it been like 10+ weeks? Everything seems to be fine - new engine, all new cooling system, all new hoses and seals, - basically the only thing left from the old engine were the accessories. Haven't put many miles on it yet, but it drives like new at the moment. Service invoice attached:

2022 Yukon XL Denali Engine Failure_Redacted_Page_1.png2022 Yukon XL Denali Engine Failure_Redacted_Page_2.png2022 Yukon XL Denali Engine Failure_Redacted_Page_3.png

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
While I was at the dealer picking my vehicle up I talked to the service manager and he said that since my vehicle came in they've also had a Sierra come in with the exact same issue and they were just about to finish up the engine replacement on that truck. I asked him about a post mortem on the engines and he said they hadn't been done yet but they were going back to GMC for that. He said based on what his master techs told him they all think it was defective bearings that were part of a supplier assembly line that was shut down during Covid and then reopened with a different set of employees. That was his theory at least.

GM_Lemon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as some of you. I purchased a '23 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L in Nov'22. In Dec'22 the Yukon shut itself off while driving and shifted to neutral. This happened 3 times in a row and then the problem disappeared. I took it to a dealer and they couldn't replicate the issue. Fast forward to 1/27/23 and at 1,081 miles the engine started chirping. Turns out the #7 and #8 rod bearings are spun. The new engine installation just finished on 4/21/23, however I haven't yet seen the vehicle. Unfortunately, when the engine decided to self-destruct I was out of town and GM refused to tow the Yukon ~150 miles to my local dealership. The lovely part of all of this is the vehicle has been out of service for as long as its been in service! Here's my interim invoice:

Lewiston Dealer Mechanics Report MOD_Page_1.jpgLewiston Dealer Mechanics Report MOD_Page_2.jpg

GM has strung me along and lied, told half lies, half truths, etc. As such I reached a breaking point and filed a lemon law case a few days back after GM ignored my demand repurchase letter for 40+ days. The vehicle was purchased in Washington State, which for all of its faults has strong lemon law statutes. What I've learned is don't bother talking to the GM reps - they can't help you and only string you along. Go straight for the lemon law or an attorney. Good luck to everyone!

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as some of you. I purchased a '23 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L in Nov'22. In Dec'22 the Yukon shut itself off while driving and shifted to neutral. This happened 3 times in a row and then the problem disappeared. I took it to a dealer and they couldn't replicate the issue. Fast forward to 1/27/23 and at 1,081 miles the engine started chirping. Turns out the #7 and #8 rod bearings are spun. The new engine installation just finished on 4/21/23, however I haven't yet seen the vehicle. Unfortunately, when the engine decided to self-destruct I was out of town and GM refused to tow the Yukon ~150 miles to my local dealership. The lovely part of all of this is the vehicle has been out of service for as long as its been in service! Here's my interim invoice:

View attachment 397788View attachment 397789

GM has strung me along and lied, told half lies, half truths, etc. As such I reached a breaking point and filed a lemon law case a few days back after GM ignored my demand repurchase letter for 40+ days. The vehicle was purchased in Washington State, which for all of its faults has strong lemon law statutes. What I've learned is don't bother talking to the GM reps - they can't help you and only string you along. Go straight for the lemon law or an attorney. Good luck to everyone!
Not sure about your state, but in my state your vehicle meets all the Lemon Law qualifications. In my state the dealer would have to provide you a new vehicle or a refund. I think you did the right thing by filing.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
Been a bit since I’ve checked this thread. Update as of early May (car died 4 months ago) - we’ve opted to go the replacement route. Motor was dead 1 month to the day from when we took delivery (Jan 9 to Feb 9, 2023).

Put my order in for the replacement around mid April and they’ve accepted it and planned production date is may 15. Should have the new vehicle by end of June. We’ve been assigned a host dealership, local to our area who will assist with the swap. Trying for the 6.2L again - what are the odds I get two lemon motors .. added the cat back exhaust this time, and from there should basically be the exact same vehicle. Out of pocket should essentially be the cost of cat back addition, and the calculation they use for depriciation on the mileage we put before motor died (3600 miles) . Up to about 7k miles currently. I can appreciate GM is trying to make this right, at least in my case, being such a new vehicle. Best of luck with the motor swaps. I’ve been checking the oil regularly, but my new motor with about 4k has been doing well… haha we made it past 3.6k at the very least

black1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 18k on mine at the moment. We ordered it in September of 2021 and got it in April of 2022. I just went back and read that I posted (multiple times) that it was a 2023. Apparently, my ability to count has been blinded by rage.
Hopefully they will deliver a new engine for you without too much delay and they will dot all the i's and cross all the t's on the install.
Don’t count on it.

black1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I met my mechanic, and tbh, service dept at the dealer has treated me very well so far. Good communication and no unnecessary calls / questions. Can’t say the same about GM customer service. Eye roll.

My motors been pulled. I picked up the dealers loaner and parts has told the new motor is en route and could be here by Friday. Here’s my old motor in a heap on the floor ..
Very UNPROFESSIONAL way to pull an expensive engine. Notice the way the chains are bolted to the engine. Any self respecting mechanic would use what is called an engine fixture that bolts directly to the engine for removal. I even have several at home to remove GM engines and other brands also. Only question I have is where is the shade tree? Someone needs to tell that dealership to spend a little of that 100 bucks an hour labor and buy an engine bracket!

Last edited:

black1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These bottom end issues cropping up (spun main or rod bearings, thrust bearings) are very uncharacteristic of the LS series engines. I wonder what manufacturing or QC changes led to these. There is always a reason.
Bring back the 350!

black1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked her up from the dealer this morning. Had a nice little write up on our service ticket - engine appeared to be “starving for oil” - stuck out to me.
It was cylinders #5 & 6 piston rod bearings seized. Major internal engine failure.

Honestly never really occurred to me to check the dipstick on a brand new vehicle with 3600 miles on it, but who knows, maybe it was low on oil. Maybe a lesson for some other new Yukon owners out there.

As a side note GM did follow up and they are willing to offer a buyback option on this vehicle. Pretty much every person I’ve spoken to is telling me to get rid of it. With a 6-9 month wait still for new orders, I might float the idea of placing another order and then having GM buy this back when the next one arrives.

For now, she seems to be running well. Was happy to feel my 6.2L after driving the GMC terrain (1.5L) loaner the last 2.5 weeks.
These *** inspired engines will NEVER be as good as the old small block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645