2023 Yukon Denali 6.2L, Dead at 3600 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s all a numbers game. No one knows how many have failed vs. how many they made. What I do know is that I’ve been on this forum a long time and the amount of threads about major issues has definitely increased with the last two generations and I’m not the first person to bring it up.

What was the competition? The Expedition? The Durango? There aren’t any other body-on-frame SUVs. I’d have an 08 GM over either of those any day of the week. Some products were bad from that time but the trucks certainly were not that bad. They didn’t need a bailout because of the of the products, people were buying them. They needed a bailout because of poor management and the recession.
Cadillac Escalade EXT/Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL
Cadillac Escalade/Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
Chevrolet TrailBlazer/GMC Envoy/Saab 9-7X
Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator
Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer
Hummer H2
Hummer H3
Infiniti QX56/Nissan Armada
Jeep Commander
Kia Borrego
Lexus GX470
Lexus LX570/Toyota Land Cruiser
Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Sequoia

21+ forums have a handful of lifter issues/other dead in water issues. It's small compared to the rest of the forums here.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of those are mid-size not full-size, but exactly which one do you think is better than the GM? The only one of those I’d pick would be the G-Class but that is certainly in another league compared to the rest, in my opinion. Maybe the Lexus but the rest are easily as bad if not worse than the GM.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of those are mid-size not full-size, but exactly which one do you think is better than the GM? The only one of those I’d pick would be the G-Class but that is certainly in another league compared to the rest, in my opinion. Maybe the Lexus but the rest are easily as bad if not worse than the GM.
It depends on what you mean by better. Almost all of them have better quality interiors and road dynamics as well as reliability.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
I still feel like the “Yelp” rule applies here - people aren’t always hopping on these forums to post what amazing experiences they’re having driving their Yukons. You come here because you’re researching or have a problem to diagnose. Even with my experience (dead engine) I haven’t written off this truck yet. For a 3 ton vehicle it really drives and handles beautifully, even at 70-80 mph, not to mention it’s a great looking truck.

Update on my motor swap. Loose spark plug wire on cylinder 6. I had the Yukon back the next morning and took a solid 2 hour round trip test drive yesterday. Back in business.. for now.

Paperwork has been submitted for the buyback option, whether or not we proceed is still TBD. Unsure what we would replace it with. Still 6-9 month wait for orders.. although I might lean toward the duramax over the 6.2L if I had to do it all over again.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still feel like the “Yelp” rule applies here - people aren’t always hopping on these forums to post what amazing experiences they’re having driving their Yukons. You come here because you’re researching or have a problem to diagnose. Even with my experience (dead engine) I haven’t written off this truck yet. For a 3 ton vehicle it really drives and handles beautifully, even at 70-80 mph, not to mention it’s a great looking truck.

Update on my motor swap. Loose spark plug wire on cylinder 6. I had the Yukon back the next morning and took a solid 2 hour round trip test drive yesterday. Back in business.. for now.

Paperwork has been submitted for the buyback option, whether or not we proceed is still TBD. Unsure what we would replace it with. Still 6-9 month wait for orders.. although I might lean toward the duramax over the 6.2L if I had to do it all over again.
That is great news...Glad you are back on the road!

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score

I'm still waiting for a real answer on my replacement engine. The dealer and my GM case rep told me on Friday that there are none and the wait is indefinite. I called over to the finance department and explained the situation and they agreed to meet with me this week about options including getting out of the lease and getting my trade allowance and deposit back. They did say they would rather put me in a new vehicle but that would take "12-18 months...are you willing to wait" to which I said "No".

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a real answer on my replacement engine. The dealer and my GM case rep told me on Friday that there are none and the wait is indefinite. I called over to the finance department and explained the situation and they agreed to meet with me this week about options including getting out of the lease and getting my trade allowance and deposit back. They did say they would rather put me in a new vehicle but that would take "12-18 months...are you willing to wait" to which I said "No".
I kind of feel like the 12-18 months is a bit of a “stretch” given that people are starting to report more normal production timelines now. Several forum members reporting 8-12 weeks for order delivery now (obviously dependent on constraints.)

May ask your dealer what escalation’s have been made to GM, but, given you have a lease; you are probably in better position to negotiate yourself to a good spot; since the lessor is not delivering on their end of the contract (they are not providing a functional vehicle).

Good luck, but if they are letting you out free and clear (don’t forget about the sales tax and license and title fees), maybe pulling out and starting over is best;

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
Anyone on this forum have any experience with the GMC vehicle replacement process?

It looks like once I place the order for my next vehicle (‘23 Denali ultimate w 6.2L and cat back exhaust.. had to .. ) , they’ll (GMC) put an offer together for how this will pan out in terms of $, at which point I can accept or decline. Curious how others have fared with this process

spm6110

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked her up from the dealer this morning. Had a nice little write up on our service ticket - engine appeared to be “starving for oil” - stuck out to me.
It was cylinders #5 & 6 piston rod bearings seized. Major internal engine failure.

Honestly never really occurred to me to check the dipstick on a brand new vehicle with 3600 miles on it, but who knows, maybe it was low on oil. Maybe a lesson for some other new Yukon owners out there.

As a side note GM did follow up and they are willing to offer a buyback option on this vehicle. Pretty much every person I’ve spoken to is telling me to get rid of it. With a 6-9 month wait still for new orders, I might float the idea of placing another order and then having GM buy this back when the next one arrives.

For now, she seems to be running well. Was happy to feel my 6.2L after driving the GMC terrain (1.5L) loaner the last 2.5 weeks.
Curious what you did to get GM to offer a buyback. Had my '22 Escalade 6.2 freeze up on I-10 leaving me and my son stranded in the middle of heavy traffic. Talk about scary. I've already had electrical issues with the vehicle having to replace the screens in the front. Now the dealership tells me that they're going to have to replace the engine. I called GM and their response was basically "only two more times with the same issue to go before we'll actually care and do something". Pretty ticked off to spend $100K on a vehicle and have these problems within a year. Not sure how I'm supposed to feel safe putting my wife and kids on the road with this hunk of junk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9