2023 Tahoe RST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Bought my RST in July 2023, after having a 2023 Tahoe LT for almost a year, loved my LT but wanted some of the things the RST had that my LT didn't. Now I am wishing I hadn't. I traveled to another state to purchase my new RST, noticed almost right away that it rode rough, seemed like maybe the tires were not balanced. I took it to Chevy after 500 miles, they checked everything & only performed an alignment & sent me home, Tahoe was still doing the same thing, they told me I needed to drive it to 1500 miles before they could do anything else, so I did. Took it back in, they called & told me it had 2 bad injectors, so both injectors replaced, they also replaced the driver side valve cover because oil was leaking into cylinder 5, which they found when inspected, they also replaced all 4 tires, saying they all had flat spots. Just got it Friday from these repairs but again, it still has the same vibration, as if the tires aren't balanced, that's the best way I know how to describe it.

Anyone know what they are missing? I feel like I am going crazy with this new RST & wish I had not made the change because my other 2023 drove so smooth.
I had the exact problem with one of my previous Tahoes. The dealer owner is a friend of mine and he told his guys to Road force balance the tires. Issue solved. Each tire on your RST weighs about 40-42 pounds, plus the weight of the rim (at least another 20 pounds?). As good as the current tire and wheel manufacturing processes are today, there are tolerances and therefore are not absolutely perfect. A traditional regular balance job is usually good enough for everyday driving vs. competition use. The bigger the tire diameter and lower (stiffer) the sidewall, the worse the ride and the more prone the combination is to magnify the out of balance condition when you get up to highway speeds. Usually when tires are mounted most "technicians" just randomly install it on the rim without any regard to the highest point on the rim (some color dot or marking) and the lightest (yellow dot) and flattest points (red dot) on the tire. A GOOD installer will identify and align the tire appropriately on the rim. Road force balancing introduces a roller that simulates the force working against the tire and identifies the radial and lateral forces when in use and ultimately gives a more exact measurement of how much weight and where exactly it needs to be placed. Press your dealer to road force balance all tires. If you truly have a vibration after that rather than just a stiff ride that just accurately transmits the imperfections on the road, you may then have other problems. (However I would doubt that.)

Shiftgreen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 23 Tahoe RST 4x4, not the 6.2 version. However, it is super smooth to us. We always talk about how much smoother is is than my wifes grand cherokee. I also had an older z71 and by far this is the smoothest vehicle I have ever ridden in. No vibration and I have been up to 85- 90 and still not one issue of rough riding or wheel/tire vibration.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What shocks do you have? Magnetic or premium smooth ride?

Shiftgreen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What shocks do you have? Magnetic or premium smooth ride?
Not sure this was directed towards mine, if so I honestly think its smooth? I thought it was magnetic at first bc it was so smooth but from what I understand the 5.3 RST's only have smooth? Hopefully someone could chime in more.

NELLY1947

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought my RST in July 2023, after having a 2023 Tahoe LT for almost a year, loved my LT but wanted some of the things the RST had that my LT didn't. Now I am wishing I hadn't. I traveled to another state to purchase my new RST, noticed almost right away that it rode rough, seemed like maybe the tires were not balanced. I took it to Chevy after 500 miles, they checked everything & only performed an alignment & sent me home, Tahoe was still doing the same thing, they told me I needed to drive it to 1500 miles before they could do anything else, so I did. Took it back in, they called & told me it had 2 bad injectors, so both injectors replaced, they also replaced the driver side valve cover because oil was leaking into cylinder 5, which they found when inspected, they also replaced all 4 tires, saying they all had flat spots. Just got it Friday from these repairs but again, it still has the same vibration, as if the tires aren't balanced, that's the best way I know how to describe it.

Anyone know what they are missing? I feel like I am going crazy with this new RST & wish I had not made the change because my other 2023 drove so smooth.
i know exactly your problem...after 1 set of original tires..3 sets of Michelins... and only 30,000 miles. 3 different dealers spent a total of 40-50 hours over 2 1/2 years on a 2019 yukon denali that had never been hit or even touched a curb or even a big pot hole. 2 front wheel bearings. 3 wheel alignments. and road force balancings i cant count. i said spin the mags with no tires or weights. well 2 of the mags had deviation of one 30 thou and the other had 52 thou. brought them to a wheel shop and 100$ each and the truck is perfect. how/why no one did that, i don't damn know. i have spent somuch time it's nuts. a lot of shops will test your mags with the tire on it.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo DW! Long time. Hope you're well. Just got a new '23 Yukon myself. Same color/chrome scheme as my '09.

Anyway, I think (not 100% sure yet) I get a bit of a vibration around 73-78 mph in my Denali-with-air-ride, too. Definitely isn't there before and after that speed range -- so, that suggests to me it's a balancing issue. Different tires on the same wheels might have helped, but I'd say the wheels would need to be rebalanced with the new tires on -- and for high speeds. (Maybe you've done that already though...)

Keep us posted!

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo DW! Long time. Hope you're well. Just got a new '23 Yukon myself. Same color/chrome scheme as my '09.

Anyway, I think (not 100% sure yet) I get a bit of a vibration around 73-78 mph in my Denali-with-air-ride, too. Definitely isn't there before and after that speed range -- so, that suggests to me it's a balancing issue. Different tires on the same wheels might have helped, but I'd say the wheels would need to be rebalanced with the new tires on -- and for high speeds. (Maybe you've done that already though...)

Keep us posted!

What's up, Kirk! Been a long time man, I've been doing good, and I hope the same for you. I ended up passing on the RST Tahoe, the dealership changed tires and that did help out quite a bit however I was still feeling something I couldn't get passed. Also, the front bumper was suffering from GM's paint chipping/peeling issue so I just backed out of it all together. Congrats on your new Denali from your profile picture it looks nice!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660