2022 Cadillac Escalade blown engine!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar thing just happened to me in my 2022 Escalade. Full nightmare scenario. On vacation with wife and 4 kids (one of which is a baby). Cruising about 75 mph. Car starts losing power. Wont go over 60, then 40, getting slower. So I pull over, no warning lights on, no strange smells, open the hood nothing leaking and no sign of excessive heat. Car is dead. Won't start. Electronics all come on but motor won't even click. Gets towed to local dealer who now 3 days later tells me the engine is seized and needs a full replacement. The good news is motors are backordered until at least october so i'm going to be at least 3 months without a car and when I get it back it will be worth tend of thousands of dollars less. spoke to another dealer who currently has 5 cars waiting for new motors. For a vehicle that cost more than $120k this is so absurd I can't even believe it.
This is super unfortunate.
Suggest working with the dealership personnel, trying to get rental/loaner vehicle while new engine is on order/arrives. Not much you can do without an engine available if that is what is needed.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I get it back it will be worth tend of thousands of dollars less
The above doesn't make any sense to me.
Are you thinking you will get a branded title? You aren't.

Is the assumption that when you trade a vehicle to a dealer they will look up warranty work and ding you on trade? (they don't)

Or is the assumption that a prospective customer (direct sale type of deal) will pull the warranty work via the vin and pay less? (I could actually see that happening for some customers, but not to the tune of $X0,000 dollars and definitely not all customers by any stretch)

FYI on the loaner / rental
You can get GMC to cover a rental, wife's Denali was in the shop for months waiting on a turbo. She drove a new Yukon while her truck was in the shop. The GM district rep person is who approves it for the dealer.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The above doesn't make any sense to me.
Are you thinking you will get a branded title? You aren't.

Is the assumption that when you trade a vehicle to a dealer they will look up warranty work and ding you on trade? (they don't)

Or is the assumption that a prospective customer (direct sale type of deal) will pull the warranty work via the vin and pay less? (I could actually see that happening for some customers, but not to the tune of $X0,000 dollars and definitely not all customers by any stretch)

FYI on the loaner / rental
You can get GMC to cover a rental, wife's Denali was in the shop for months waiting on a turbo. She drove a new Yukon while her truck was in the shop. The GM district rep person is who approves it for the dealer.
Dealers will look at repair records and car fax on vehicles for trade in value of vehicles also prudent buyers will also check repair records on vehicle they are looking to purchase.

slc4s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dealers will look at repair records and car fax on vehicles for trade in value of vehicles also prudent buyers will also check repair records on vehicle they are looking to purchase.
This is correct. Also I would never sell a car to somebody without disclosing that its on its second engine and like any other major repair, this will not be seen as a positive.. even though you could spin it as a positive here.
As an update: I don't want to speak too soon but it does appear that GM will be doing the right thing. They are covering rental car expense (I got an old suburban with 60k miles on it) and even though it hasn't been in the shop yet for 30 days, everybody has acknowledged that it will be, and a buyback case is already being submitted for "internal review". If they stand by their product like this I'll probably buy another one (maybe even move up to an escalade V). Next call with my senior cadillac rep is next wednesday so I'll keep this updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts