2021 Tahoe RST help with tire size please!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George And

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just traded my 17 Silverado for a 2021 Tahoe RST. Love the truck but I’m not in love with the factory 22” half black half machined wheels. So I ordered a set of gloss black 22’s.

Kraze Lusso. 22x9.5 et 30. 969bdb606821f181eb954f3c6c3c4f69.jpg
ad90d5cb133a69b88f8691e535513126.jpg

My brother owns a shop and seems to think the stock 275/50/22 Bridgestones are a bit anemic looking for the truck, (my initial intention was to reuse the factory tires and tpms) however he’s suggesting that I go with a bigger tire something like a 285/45/22 in an AT or a 305/45 in an all season. However these trucks are so new that no one seems to know what does / doesn’t fit. I don’t want to level / lift anything and keep the ride quality. The restriction seems to be the upper ball joint / control arm which seems close to the inside of the tire on the front wheels.

Anyone here with real world experience who can help? Most of the online configuration things seem to stop at 2020. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Folks will chime in with their experiences. In the meantime, you can do some of your own research for your specific truck, as indicated below.

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
George, please let us know what tire you end up going with and how well they fit.
Ordered a Denali for the wife and she'll be getting new tires when it arrives, BF AT Ko2's are the plan, just need to decide on size.

OP
OP
G

George And

Reaction score
Here’s the issue.

285/45/22 of which there is a vast selection of AT tires is small for these trucks. It’s a 32.1” tire vs the 32.8” tire that the stock 275/50/22 is.

Now, 305/45/22 is about the perfect diameter but 12” wide and needs a 10” wide wheel, of which they’re aren’t many in a proper offset for these trucks, yet at least.

285/50/22 works on a 9” wheel, is only 1.2% bigger - 33.1 v/s 32.8 and .5 inch wider. So far so good. its also bedm confirmed to fit and not rub on 22x9 + 24 2019+ silverado wheels. Until you try to shop for tires. 4 options basically - nitto terra or ridge grapplers at ~ 400 eaxh.

Toyo open country AT2's at about the same price. OR the budget option of radar renegade AT5's at around 1k for the set. they seem to have decent reviews from actual purchasers on various forums but others reject them as absolute trash. For what its worth they are severe snow duty rated, and i have a lot of family in canada (my wife is originally canadian) so we spend a fair amount of time up there so that kinda matters .

here is a pic of a 21 z71 running the aforementoned silverado wheels and the 285/50/22. dont know which tire.

no rub or clearance issues and it changes the look / attitude of the truck.

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/50r22 are actually 33.5” diameter.

D25C2384-CDC4-465B-9D83-CB1E57FDA49B.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

George And

Reaction score
You mean tall. But yeah. Some tape measure math makes it seem like they are about the biggest thing you can get in there. Stock 275/50 is 33.1 tall and 10.8 wide. The 285/50 is 33.4 and 11.7 wide. Anything bigger is going to have rubbing issues at full lock and get real close to the upper ball joint. Granted as long as you clear the ball joint you are OK as that is a static point.

I ordered basically the same setup you have, but mine is a 4wd RST. We’ll see how it goes in a few days when it all gets here.

Bit of trial and error on these new trucks..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean tall. But yeah. Some tape measure math makes it seem like they are about the biggest thing you can get in there. Stock 275/50 is 33.1 tall and 10.8 wide. The 285/50 is 33.4 and 11.7 wide. Anything bigger is going to have rubbing issues at full lock and get real close to the upper ball joint. Granted as long as you clear the ball joint you are OK as that is a static point.

I ordered basically the same setup you have, but mine is a 4wd RST. We’ll see how it goes in a few days when it all gets here.

Bit of trial and error on these new trucks..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Corrected to diameter vs. width, my mistake. Thanks for the heads up. Looks forward to seeing it.

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several folks running 35”x11.50” on stock 20’s (Z71) on Facebook with a 2.25” & 2.5” level. Saying no trimming they can see but not sure they know what the shops did

OP
OP
G

George And

Reaction score
There are several folks running 35”x11.50” on stock 20’s (Z71) on Facebook with a 2.25” & 2.5” level. Saying no trimming they can see but not sure they know what the shops did
The millon dollar question is do the z71 and RST (mine) have generally the same ride height and clearances. I don’t want to mess with the suspension on mine. I MAY do the 1” in the front to level it out, but it’s the urban assault dad mobile lol. It’s never going to see the off road.

I’m content with the setup we have. I’ll let you know how it works out once it all comes in and I get it on.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bet would be numerous pics from various angles at ride height...

Have some one help hold a cut down ruler if needed, reach in with a mobile.device and snap pics...straight turned (both ways and both sides)

Take your time and save some hassle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues