2019 ESV vs Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate this feedback.

Are the mag suspension modes noticeable? Just curious. I had a 2004 corvette, but it was z51 and therefore didn’t have the mag ride. Conceptually, it makes sense.

I’m surprised that I’m not seeing a huge difference in price between the two vehicles. Cadillac is more, but not as much as when I bought my current Denali. I’m also keeping my eyes on offers from Laura GMC on a potential new Denali plus if GMC brings back 84month / 0% like they had in May.

one other dumb question. Do the vehicles have mag suspension with airbags? My current Denali has the air ride rear. Is that still a thing?
Yes. This is how GM designed the auto level control function. I can notice a difference in the suspension setups from the two. So my best friends parents have a 2015 esv luxury package. We live up in the mountains in a ski resort town and I’ve gone with them up and down several times. When the sport mode is elected in the suspension settings it makes a huge difference. Stiffer suspension does the cornering and grades and such. Very different than normal mode and I think that’s worth it.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are the mag suspension modes noticeable? Just curious. I had a 2004 corvette, but it was z51 and therefore didn’t have the mag ride. Conceptually, it makes sense.

I’m surprised that I’m not seeing a huge difference in price between the two vehicles. Cadillac is more, but not as much as when I bought my current Denali. I’m also keeping my eyes on offers from Laura GMC on a potential new Denali plus if GMC brings back 84month / 0% like they had in May.

one other dumb question. Do the vehicles have mag suspension with airbags? My current Denali has the air ride rear. Is that still a thing?
Yes the adjustable MRC modes are noticeable. “Normal” is a smooth comfortable ride; what you’d expect from a Cadillac, and doesn’t feel like a truck. “Sport” changes the ride and transmission. It drives like a Camaro; takes sharp turns with no lean, and gears ride up the RPMs and stay that way as the transmission is ready for acceleration at any moment. “Snow/Ice” is good for, as the name suggests, snow and ice, lol. I keep mine in Normal most of the time, unless I’m late and need to get somewhere quick.

The other feature I use a lot is the 360 surround camera system for parking. The video rear view camera that was mentioned by someone is pretty cool too for when you have the back totally filled with cargo or if the drop down DVD screens are in use. It also provides a wider view of the rear.

Also, there are extra safety features like all speed full front/rear auto stop and some other little things like that.

But like I said you really need to drive them and see for yourself. I honestly could have gone with either Denali XL, Escalade ESV, or Suburban for that matter. Nothing beats these triplets for space, comfort, and safety. The perfect road trip vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Denali ride with MRC is awful IMO. I special ordered mine with non 20” wheels to add some rubber to the jarring ride which helped a bit...

If ride quality is important to you and you are only able to consider GM products, go for the escalade since you can dial out the brashness. If you aren’t the escalade type, can you wait for the new Yukons? Their rides should be markedly improved over the current gens due to the redesigned rear suspension.

sabasigh

Reaction score
Denali ride with MRC is awful IMO. I special ordered mine with non 20” wheels to add some rubber to the jarring ride which helped a bit...

Got a '20 Denali wirh MRC/22" wheels. Ride is definitely meh over rough roads.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will start by saying I would keep the 14.

To your question, I think everyone has pretty well covered the feature differences, which aren’t as massive as they used to be in the past. What sets the Cadillac apart from the Chevy and GMC is little things. Once again, these aren’t quite as massive as they once were but it is still there. The glass is better so it blocks more heat and noise, the insulation is better, etc. Drive a Tahoe Premier or Yukon SLT, then drive a Denali, and then drive the Escalade. You’ll notice the differences in the little things if you’re looking for them.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you wait for the new Yukons? Their rides should be markedly improved over the current gens due to the redesigned rear suspension.
Probably not the place for this topic but the next gen's don't just have a redesigned rear suspension. The MRC is improved/changed and there's an optional air suspesion (with MRC). I found this news VERY exciting!

Last edited:

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will start by saying I would keep the 14.

To your question, I think everyone has pretty well covered the feature differences, which aren’t as massive as they used to be in the past. What sets the Cadillac apart from the Chevy and GMC is little things. Once again, these aren’t quite as massive as they once were but it is still there. The glass is better so it blocks more heat and noise, the insulation is better, etc. Drive a Tahoe Premier or Yukon SLT, then drive a Denali, and then drive the Escalade. You’ll notice the differences in the little things if you’re looking for them.
The difference is more now between the two than it use to be, actually. Heck in the old ones the steering wheels and seats were exactly the same. And prior to '09 so was the suspension. At least there are actually differences now, not just relying on a motor and a crest. And thankfully the crest is gone.

The glass isn't better. A Premier has the same amount of acoustic glass as a Premium Luxury Escalade. Not sure about heat blocking but I doubt it. Maybe on a Platinum to justify that ungodly price.

A Tahoe premier isn't the equivalent to an SLT. The Denali is identical aside from 6.2 which is now an option on the Premier, making them exactly the same.

Edit: denali has real stainless and wood trim. Premier does not. The only difference lol

Last edited:

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a '20 Denali wirh MRC/22" wheels. Ride is definitely meh over rough roads.
This is an understatement. Pebbles on a newly paved road feel almost jarring.

Sorry for the 3 separate quotes in a row. Multi quote was malfunctioning on my end.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is more now between the two than it use to be, actually. Heck in the old ones the steering wheels and seats were exactly the same. And prior to '09 so was the suspension. At least there are actually differences now, not just relying on a motor and a crest. And thankfully the crest is gone.

The glass isn't better. A Premier has the same amount of acoustic glass as a Premium Luxury Escalade. Not sure about heat blocking but I doubt it. Maybe on a Platinum to justify that ungodly price.

A Tahoe premier isn't the equivalent to an SLT. The Denali is identical aside from 6.2 which is now an option on the Premier, making them exactly the same.

Edit: denali has real stainless and wood trim. Premier does not. The only difference lol

You are right about the Denali having the better glass also but I didn't have a Tahoe Premier around to verify. I was thinking of the 07-14 body style where the door glass in the Escalade is Saint-Gobain Sekurit. You're also right the Premier is above the SLT, I meant to say Tahoe LT (meaning it would have the passive suspension and not have the extra deadener and such the Denali and Escalade have). The seats were not the same in the past. Get in a Tahoe/SLT and then get in a Denali or Escalade, you can see the difference in the material alone.

The suspension is basically the same from 07-20 (yes there are some revised/changed parts which is why I said basically). You also have to realize that even if a Tahoe LTZ/Premier, Denali, and Escalade all have the "same" suspension the Mag/Auto Ride allows the ability to tune them differently electronically.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seats were not the same in the past. Get in a Tahoe/SLT and then get in a Denali or Escalade, you can see the difference in the material alone.
The material in leather was the only thing that was different in the past, I meant the Escalade has its whole own different seat now. A different design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlitefan

Latest posts