2018 Yukon Denali 6.2..Concerned About Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get their syn blend oil, 6 quarts, and their filter it is $79.95. If I get Dino oil it is $69.95. If I supply my own filter and oil I get charged $30 flat fee.

I have never been approached about paying $100 or more for any oil change. I am only assuming for $117 there is a whole list of extra things they do, like maybe top off differentials and T-case and trans fluid....etc. I am just guessing of course.

You'd still come out ahead with a better oil and filter supplying your own. ~$21-26 for a 5 quart jug of quality synthetic, ~$5 for the 6th quart, ~$8 for a quality filter and their $30 labor fee.

*EDIT* Disregard. Dana reminded me that the K2xx takes 8 quarts. I'll have to pay more attention or just stick my antiquated GMT900 and '800 chassis.

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have made an appointment with my dealer, they do a full synthetic for $59.99 but procrastinated too long and they couldn't fit it in.

$59.99 is a very good deal at the dealership for Full Synthetic IMHO. My GMC dealer charges 85 bucks here in Florida. They use AC Delco Full Synthetic. The Chevrolet dealer in New Jersey charges 90 bucks for Mobil 1.

Sometimes I buy my own Mobil 1 at Walmart and let the independent do it. He charges 15 bucks to do it. Plus he tops off all the fluids and checks everything while it is on the rack.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd still come out ahead with a better oil and filter supplying your own. ~$21-26 for a 5 quart jug of quality synthetic, ~$5 for the 6th quart, ~$8 for a quality filter and their $30 labor fee.
I thought the oil capacity of the new 6.2 is 8 quarts.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get their syn blend oil, 6 quarts, and their filter it is $79.95. If I get Dino oil it is $69.95. If I supply my own filter and oil I get charged $30 flat fee.

I have never been approached about paying $100 or more for any oil change. I am only assuming for $117 there is a whole list of extra things they do, like maybe top off differentials and T-case and trans fluid....etc. I am just guessing of course.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For an oil and filter change on a newer 5.3L with full synthetic at the local Xpress Lube or Jiffy Lube you are looking at $100-$150. The newer 5.3L requires 8 quarts of oil, 2 qts more than the older ones (I have one of each). That’s why my son started changing his own oil yesterday! Yes, it’s a rip-off and they always try to sell you something that you don’t yet need and can change yourself like an air filter or wiper blades.

The local Chevy dealer charges $65 for oil and filter change and tire rotation and uses Mobile 1 full synthetic oil. I’ll be going there for all my changes from now on.

gsd1019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dont think their is such a thing a conventional 0w20

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I get the Amazon Basics full synthetic and a PF46 filter. The oil is made at the same place that Mobil 1 and others are and in 2 different tests the Amazon Basics oil is even or even better than Mobil 1. I use a place called Oil Can Henry's and they check and top off all fluids, including diffs, tcase and trans and base fee is $30. Plus, they have a camera in the pit that I can sit in my vehicle and see them on the screen as they work under my rig and I watch them under the hood.

cfoote

Reaction score
Here's my concern:

Heading on a 500 mile road trip early tomorrow so decided to get my oil changed before I left since it was below 20%. I couldn't get it into the dealer so went to a local chain and asked for the normal change. Once I got home checked one of the dealer change receipts and see they used synthetic but it was just changed with regular Penzoil 0w20.

Should I be concerned or would it be ok till I get back, or at least till I get there tomorrow? I could try to get back out and have it swapped but not sure if I could make it on time.

2018 Yukon Denali 6.2L 10 speed.
I think that you’re fine. 0w20 is the correct viscosity so they more than likely used a dexos 1 or version 2 certified oil because that’s what the vehicle calls for. I’ve never seen 0w20 in Jon synthetic. The higher price was probably for something like Mobile 1 which the dealer charges around the same of you want that. I wouldn’t worry at all since they used 0w20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12

Latest posts