2018 Yukon Denali 6.2..Concerned About Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJ461

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my concern:

Heading on a 500 mile road trip early tomorrow so decided to get my oil changed before I left since it was below 20%. I couldn't get it into the dealer so went to a local chain and asked for the normal change. Once I got home checked one of the dealer change receipts and see they used synthetic but it was just changed with regular Penzoil 0w20.

Should I be concerned or would it be ok till I get back, or at least till I get there tomorrow? I could try to get back out and have it swapped but not sure if I could make it on time.

2018 Yukon Denali 6.2L 10 speed.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For that short round trip I would not be concerned. If was mine I would just change it when get back in town. Did you tell the oil change shop to use synthetic oil and they did the opposite or you forgot to tell them? Or, did you not know already what your manual calls for and did not know what oil the dealer was using?

OP
OP
J

JJ461

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know what the manufacturer called for and they were trying to push an ultra synthetic for $117.00. Told them I just needed the regular oil change, so my fault, but I'm not paying $117.00 for an oil change. I should have made an appointment with my dealer, they do a full synthetic for $59.99 but procrastinated too long and they couldn't fit it in.

I should be able to have it changed in my destination city tomorrow if I need to, I'm not towing anything, about 90% interstate miles and the weather is cool.

OP
OP
J

JJ461

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to get the owner's manual out and do some reading. You should be fine till you get back from your trip. I think you could even go to 3k miles and then do the synthetic but that is just an opinion. I would change to full syn when I got back from a trip.

Thanks for the info/opinion, I hear you on the owner's manual and will definitely brush up on the recommended service items. Will probably wait till I get back and make an appointment to have the full synthetic change done.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make the trip with no worries, just make sure they tightened the plug and filter before you go!

My dear wife surprised me with two oil changes when I was too sick do them myself. Both times I had to fix their mistakes. I used to be a manager at a Jiffy lube and never did my crew screw up a car.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Make the trip with no worries, just make sure they tightened the plug and filter before you go!

My dear wife surprised me with two oil changes when I was too sick do them myself. Both times I had to fix their mistakes. I used to be a manager at a Jiffy lube and never did my crew screw up a car.
I never did trust those oil change places. I've heard way too many horror stories.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since I stopped doing my own work I have had to frequent a couple of them in my area for oil changes. They always want to upsell services and I am ok with that, it is part of the job. I just tell them what I want done and no more. I used to carry around my ASE Master Cert and if they pushed a little I just showed them and asked to please just do as I ask. I never got rude with them and they soon learned to just do as asked. I now use a shop that is owned and ran by a guy that I used to be in charge of when I was a service manager. Great tech and is an ASE Master Tech. We see eye to eye and know what is up and all is well within my comfort zone.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can add that any of my 4 daughters and 1 of my sons gets ripped every time they go to get service. They live too far away for me to do it or use my guy so they just call now $117 is robbery. James and Ron what do the lube shops/dealers pay for oil? I know it’s been a while.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I get their syn blend oil, 6 quarts, and their filter it is $79.95. If I get Dino oil it is $69.95. If I supply my own filter and oil I get charged $30 flat fee.

I have never been approached about paying $100 or more for any oil change. I am only assuming for $117 there is a whole list of extra things they do, like maybe top off differentials and T-case and trans fluid....etc. I am just guessing of course.