2018 Tahoe premier flowmaster 40 exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those videos.
Found the XS1259 For $58

Just curious why are most of you guys never recommending flowmaster, is it just over priced branding ?

Likely because of the way they sound! Granted, Flowmaster makes other model series that aren't the chambered design. But, for a vehicle with a full-length passenger cabin, a chambered muffler of almost any brand just isn't ideal unless you're wanting all-out noise, like a "squatter"/"tooter"/"fukboi". You can get away with a lot more with a truck since you have two walls separating you from the noise. But not so much with a car and certainly not an SUV. You have all that floor and cabin space for the sound frequencies to permeate and resonate. It's like you're driving inside a ported sub box. Oh, and the popular brand names are gonna be higher because they can. Some people just want a Flowmaster and couldn't care less how much it costs or how it sounds. There are Flowmaster knock-offs that perform exactly the same at a fraction of the price. They're all great for classic muscle cars that are primarily weekend toys because that sound is befitting. For a more refined family hauler, not so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely because of the way they sound! Granted, Flowmaster makes other model series that aren't the chambered design. But, for a vehicle with a full-length passenger cabin, a chambered muffler of almost any brand just isn't ideal unless you're wanting all-out noise, like a "squatter"/"tooter"/"fukboi". You can get away with a lot more with a truck since you have two walls separating you from the noise. But not so much with a car and certainly not an SUV. You have all that floor and cabin space for the sound frequencies to permeate and resonate. It's like you're driving inside a ported sub box. Oh, and the popular brand names are gonna be higher because they can. Some people just want a Flowmaster and couldn't care less how much it costs or how it sounds. There are Flowmaster knock-offs that perform exactly the same at a fraction of the price. They're all great for classic muscle cars that are primarily weekend toys because that sound is befitting. For a more refined family hauler, not so much.
Here's a video
Cold start
Yes I have thought about it last night and this morning and due to the giant body basting like a box with a chambared exhaust your just going to get fat bass from the exhaust

Anyways listen with headphones or surround sound to hear how deep this exhaust really is

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so this is the plan and hopefully it works out to my advantage

I'll swap the super 40 for the XS1259 And removing the reso in the back and have them run pipe to side where the rear passenger wheel is and add a Corsa dual tip :)

So I really don't know much about exhaust as you can tell but doesn't modified exhaust give you more gain or is it really just for sound ?I feel as if the super 40 has killed some of my HP from 0-50 but maybe it's just me lol

Will there be any gains or losses going with the I assume "glass pack" 1259 muffler ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so this is the plan and hopefully it works out to my advantage

I'll swap the super 40 for the XS1259 And removing the reso in the back and have them run pipe to side where the rear passenger wheel is and add a Corsa dual tip :)

So I really don't know much about exhaust as you can tell but doesn't modified exhaust give you more gain or is it really just for sound ?I feel as if the super 40 has killed some of my HP from 0-50 but maybe it's just me lol

Will there be any gains or losses going with the I assume "glass pack" 1259 muffler ?

Really, any difference it'd make likely won't be felt. But, to specify the difference, it would be a loss in the low end, if anything. The Flowmaster is less restrictive than the stock muffler. But, with the baffles and chambers, the FM is more restrictive than the straight-through style. The FM is more about sound than air flow manipulation. No, it's not a "backpressure" thing. Not exactly. It's a flow thing. The factory exhaust is tuned to evacuate the exhaust gasses from the cylinders in addition to attenuating the sound through absorption and reflection. Some performance is sacrificed in meeting specified sound parameters.

Picture this: An engine is an air pump. At high RPM and more open throttle, it's trying to suck air in and get it out ASAP. A high-flow exhaust complements this because it supports the movement of a larger volume of air. At lower RPM and much lesser-opened throttle, there're not as much air moving through it nor is it moving as fast. That wide open, high-flowing exhaust pipe lets the air stall because it's too "roomy". The air can fill it more easily rather than being crammed into it. So the air expands all comfortable like, kicks back and chills, enjoying its casual Sunday drive through the exhaust system. It's not moving well enough to help evacuate the cylinders. Another aspect is temperature. Cooler air is more compact. This is why the front half of the exhaust system is 2.75" and the piping after the muffler is 2.5". Since the air has cooled that far down the line and after going through the muffler, it has compacted a little and, therefore, doesn't need quite as much room. The smaller pipe helps to keep up the speed, even though it is less volume, which complements the smaller volume of the cooler air.

I think that the large, but straight-through muffler makes up for the performance sacrifices the engineers made when they designed the stock muffler for its sound manipulating. But, it's not as ineffective at muffling the exhaust as the Blowmaster. Keep the 2.75" going into the XS1259 and the 2.5" leaving it. Since the XS is about 6" shorter than the stock muffler, a length of pipe will be necessary. I used a length of 3" pipe, cut a thin wedge out of it lengthwise (about 1.5" wide at one end and very narrow at the other), then squeezed that wedge-shaped gap together and welded it. This made a 6" long tube that tapered from 3" down to 2.5" to transition from the muffler's output to the rest of the factory pipe.

I moved my exit from the side to the rear. I'll be moving it back to the side.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered from Amazon, now just looking for a decent tip for the back end, I’m going to have the res removed when this gets installed

The corsa tip that I wanted is not worth the $180

I do a lot of driving for work. When I was collecting the parts for my exhaust, I'd check out other car's tips and take note, sometimes snap a quick pic. I liked the tips on a particular model of Saturn Outlook, so I went to my local salvage yard and chopped the left and right side tips off of one. They're considered "trim" pieces, and sold by size, so I got nice quality stainless OEM tips for $4 or $5 each.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of driving for work. When I was collecting the parts for my exhaust, I'd check out other car's tips and take note, sometimes snap a quick pic. I liked the tips on a particular model of Saturn Outlook, so I went to my local salvage yard and chopped the left and right side tips off of one. They're considered "trim" pieces, and sold by size, so I got nice quality stainless OEM tips for $4 or $5 each.
Btw love your romantic moonlight mow session ahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442