2018 Tahoe premier flowmaster 40 exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning, first off I hope I am placing this in the right area. I purchased a 2018 Tahoe premier last year finally got around to at least dropping the stock muffler and welding on a flowmaster 40 series with flapper removed and stock resonator still inline it sounds good BUT a lot of low end bass from the exhaust inside the cabin which I am starting to not like.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much unless I'm on the gas it makes a deep low rumble inside the cabin. I'm thinking I need to remove the resonator (big can on the back) and add 3" pipe with a nice 4" tip to help this

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to put the resonator/flapper back on to get rid of the drone from the cylnder change. Alternatively you can try the Range device which keeps it in V8 mode. But you lose mpg....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much unless I'm on the gas it makes a deep low rumble inside the cabin. I'm thinking I need to remove the resonator (big can on the back) and add 3" pipe with a nice 4" tip to help this

That "deep low rumble inside the cabin" is drone. It's common with louder aftermarket mufflers and especially chambered styles and ESPECIALLY Flowmaster 40s. Changing pipes, adding tips, etc. won't do anything to help. A larger rear pipe could actually make it worse as well as reduce low-end power. You can (A) change the muffler or (B) attack the drone specifically if you like the sound of the muffler but just want to eliminate the drone. The second option is cheap and relatively easy, but requires math... How big a nerd are ya?

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That "deep low rumble inside the cabin" is drone. It's common with louder aftermarket mufflers and especially chambered styles and ESPECIALLY Flowmaster 40s. Changing pipes, adding tips, etc. won't do anything to help. A larger rear pipe could actually make it worse as well as reduce low-end power. You can (A) change the muffler or (B) attack the drone specifically if you like the sound of the muffler but just want to eliminate the drone. The second option is cheap and relatively easy, but requires math... How big a nerd are ya?
Well that kind of sucks so I spent 260 bucks to add on a Flowmaster 40 for some obnoxious low rumble and crappy hum while cruising

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to put the resonator/flapper back on to get rid of the drone from the cylnder change. Alternatively you can try the Range device which keeps it in V8 mode. But you lose mpg....
as far as the range device goes I can just stick it manual shifting but it’s still a constant hum
No matter if I’m on the freeway or cruising through the city it’s it’s a hum I was thinking if I was to remove the resonator that would help with back pressure on that super 40 that’s causing the ham

But it sounds like I just wasted money even though I did a lot of research a lot of reading watched a lot of videos

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that kind of sucks so I spent 260 bucks to add on a Flowmaster 40 for some obnoxious low rumble and crappy hum while cruising

C'mon, man! You've been a member here since 2017- you should already know to ask the TYF fam before performing any mods!

All is not lost. Known good mufflers are ~$60 and, if you can change your own oil, you can install it yourself with a hack saw and clamps. Maybe an adapter or two. Or, if you're committed to the Flowmaster 40, you can add a Helmholtz chamber to the exhaust to kill the drone. It's just an extra exhaust pipe that comes off the existing pipe, turns 90°, and runs parallel to the existing pipe with the end capped off. It just has to be a specific length. A couple of members here have done it with great success. This would require the pipe and welding, so it's not a driveway job for most.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as the range device goes I can just stick it manual shifting but it’s still a constant hum
No matter if I’m on the freeway or cruising through the city it’s it’s a hum I was thinking if I was to remove the resonator that would help with back pressure on that super 40 that’s causing the ham

But it sounds like I just wasted money even though I did a lot of research a lot of reading watched a lot of videos

So the drone isn't specific to 4- or 8-cylinder mode. The resonator is a Helmholtz chamber designed to attack the frequencies created when in 4-cylinder mode. But, it is designed for "clean up" after the muffler, which has been changed, so it is much less effective. Removing it would make it 100% ineffective. It's not a factor of too little or too much back pressure. It's a factor of reduced muffling and the resulting increase in sound volume and its resonance.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C'mon, man! You've been a member here since 2017- you should already know to ask the TYF fam before performing any mods!

All is not lost. Known good mufflers are ~$60 and, if you can change your own oil, you can install it yourself with a hack saw and clamps. Maybe an adapter or two. Or, if you're committed to the Flowmaster 40, you can add a Helmholtz chamber to the exhaust to kill the drone. It's just an extra exhaust pipe that comes off the existing pipe, turns 90°, and runs parallel to the existing pipe with the end capped off. It just has to be a specific length. A couple of members here have done it with great success. This would require the pipe and welding, so it's not a driveway job for most.
So what am I looking to spend to get this sounding good.

Here's my take so far.
The drone sucks, I can't hear the exhaust when past 3k rpm as in no mids or highs.

I want to hear my v8 but not sound like a dragster as it is the family wagon on weekends and days off it is a daily driver and I do want to hear my v8. If I had the cash a corsa exhaust would be perfect but I don't have that kind of money so if I can do this on a budget that would be awesome

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what am I looking to spend to get this sounding good.

Here's my take so far.
The drone sucks, I can't hear the exhaust when past 3k rpm as in no mids or highs.

I want to hear my v8 but not sound like a dragster as it is the family wagon on weekends and days off it is a daily driver and I do want to hear my v8. If I had the cash a corsa exhaust would be perfect but I don't have that kind of money so if I can do this on a budget that would be awesome

There are a handful of favorites that produce a great sound and no drone. I can only speak for what I have experience with. Also, I tend to be cheap since the name embossed into the muffler case or how much money was spent on it doesn't mean shít to the engine farts blowing through it. The tried-and-true crowd favorites are the Magnaflow #12589 (22") or the "one notch higher" #12259 (18"). Magnaflows are nice, but pricey, so I opted for the clone made by AP Exhaust, from their Xlerator line. When my exhaust was otherwise stock (manifolds, cats, etc.), I had the AP XS1259, AP's clone of the Magnaflow #12259. IMO, it was absolutely perfect. It only came alive when on the throttle, and I'd lower the right rear window when next to a wall just to hear it. When cruising, you'd hear a distant V8 hum if you were listening for it. NO drone at all. It was about $33 on Amazon back when I bought it, and is currently $62. Their clone of the Magnaflow #12589, which is the same muffler just with a 4" longer body, is $63 on Amazon (XS2589). You could call this a "stock+" muffler since it's almost as quiet as stock, just with a hair more attitude at idle and when cruising, but would have a decent bark with hard throttle. There are similar ones, if not the exact same muffler in a different box, branded as Jones MAX Flow. Their part numbers are basically the same as AP's, such as the 22" Jones MF2589 ($84 at Summit) and the 18" MF1259 ($51 at Summit). Having a Flowmaster 40, I think you'd prefer the one-step-louder 18". The Jones MF1259 is the cheapest of the bunch, but look at shipping, etc. and compare to Amazon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157