2017 4WD Tahoe Premier ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2017_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I’ve read that this issue can be a lot of different things I don’t know what to do about it because the dealership is not very helpful. It’s frustrating. You can’t really hear the ticking noise from the outside you can only hear it in the cabin when the windows are rolled up and the radio is off. To me it sounds like it’s more on the driver side. I went to the dealership today and paid $312 for them to replace the exhaust band. I hope by them replacing the exhaust band that it will at least help with the rattle noise upon cold start up in the morning which goes away in less than a minute it’s just annoying. But getting onto the freeway I swear it sounds like an exhaust leak but when I roll the windows down I can’t hear it the windows have to be up and I just hear a faint ticking noise, it’s driving me crazy. If anyone has any advice I’d greatly appreciate it!

GRAYGEORGE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That ticking sound could be one of the actuators on your heat/air door control.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The rattle noise that goes away quickly as the engine warms could be a missing, broken, or loose exhaust manifold bolt.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am willing to bet, as mine sounds somewhat similar...on driver side more so...i believe te injector pulse noise can be heard. even while accelerating, it sounds like a spark knock. which i believe it to be, as you can see timing retard while data logging.

lbenson

Reaction score
I have the same ticking noise in my 6.2L on my Denali. I always have the music on and almost never hear it. And yes, it sounds like its more on the drivers side, coming from down by your feet. I don't think there's anything harmful from the noise other than being annoyed by it. Since I usually can't hear it because of music, I have no desire to spend the money to have it fixed.

Here is a TSB on a fix: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10141370-9999.pdf

Edit: Says it is a steering shaft seal that allows unfiltered noise in from the engine bay. Makes sense that it is on the drivers side.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the high pressure fuel pump, its under the intake manifold closest to the firewall. My 2019 has the same tick tick tick. NOT a lifter. Could be confused as exhaust leak.. Cant believe it was over $300 to change a $15 exhaust clamp.. especially when it probably took them 10 mins to do it.

Not sure what the rattle noise on start is, would have to hear it. The Gen 5 engines have a different oil pump that is a variable speed/flow. Its normal for them to make a slight "rrrrp" noise right as the engine fires. I think it has some thing to do with the drain back while off allowing a bit of air into the gear mesh.

Beached

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

This ticking was the beginning of my 2015 burb's major repair in progress right now.

Started with the telltale light ticking noise, which wasn't always noticeable, at 80k miles. Thought maybe lifter sticking or exhaust leak. Did a quick check at my mechanic, but tick was faint and didn't find any signs of issue. Did an oil change, in case oil was thinned, even before 3,000 miles.

A week later, 300 miles away, driving my son to his wedding ceremony, along with 5 of his Navy groomsmen, I got the dreaded knocking and bucking. Game over.

Collapsed lifter and scored cam...engine's pulled and being put back together now. Make sure you get that tick checked out thoroughly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt