2016 Yukon - Has Power But Does Not Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmac-yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a little perplexed here and hoping someone has input.

Started my truck and it took a bit for the engine to start. Didn't think much of it and that maybe I had not firmly applied pressure to the Start button. I drive for 2 hours, turn off engine and fill with gas (I was very low on gas). I go to start my truck, panel and internal lights come on, it attempts to start but does not turn over. I hear clicking noise, see inside lights flashing and the engine light stays on. Tried it a couple more times and still not success. Ultimately, power dies to the truck. I get a boost and try a few more times, it does not turn over, but the power slowly returns. Allowed it to be connected to the other truck for about 20 minutes. I try again and truck starts. We had checked all connections, battery posts are clean and no issues noted.

Now, took the truck to Autozone where store manager tests starter and battery and both pass. Drove for another 9 hours and park the truck. Next morning, truck starts like a champ and was turned on and off 3 times with no issues.

Really don't know what the issue was, so hoping someone may have gone through this before. Thanks!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a little perplexed here and hoping someone has input.

Started my truck and it took a bit for the engine to start. Didn't think much of it and that maybe I had not firmly applied pressure to the Start button. I drive for 2 hours, turn off engine and fill with gas (I was very low on gas). I go to start my truck, panel and internal lights come on, it attempts to start but does not turn over. I hear clicking noise, see inside lights flashing and the engine light stays on. Tried it a couple more times and still not success. Ultimately, power dies to the truck. I get a boost and try a few more times, it does not turn over, but the power slowly returns. Allowed it to be connected to the other truck for about 20 minutes. I try again and truck starts. We had checked all connections, battery posts are clean and no issues noted.

Now, took the truck to Autozone where store manager tests starter and battery and both pass. Drove for another 9 hours and park the truck. Next morning, truck starts like a champ and was turned on and off 3 times with no issues.

Really don't know what the issue was, so hoping someone may have gone through this before. Thanks!

Sounds like you have a starter that has a dead spot. It may test fine at auto zone if it never lands on that spot.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you heard the click, then that was most likely the starter solenoid attempting to engage.

On my 07, I had a very similar issue, and it would occur randomly. I also had my starter and battery 'tested', and they both tested to be OK. I came to the same conclusion that @wjburken suggested to you, and I replaced the starter. That was almost a year ago, and I have not had this starting issue since.

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Remove starter. disconnect solenoid wires From starter. Clean the contacts and apply penatrox or any other conductive grease. Reassemble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magnetman59