2015 Yukon XL Paint Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A-Mac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm yet one more of the victims of this terrible paint issue. We noticed it a couple of years ago and I thought it was just something I could buff out. I was able to stave it off for some time with polishing and waxing, but it's really gotten bad as of late. Worse than any of the 10 GMs I've owned over the years...by far. Apparently this is a known issue with the clear coat failing. I took it to my dealer who originally sold us the vehicle (Hardin Buick GMC) and they're trying to help us. They're good guys, but they're not GM. Since we're out of warranty and over 100k miles, we were told we were lucky that GM offered to split the costs with us where we pay 70% and they pay 30%. This comes out to approx $4100 out of pocket for us to have the entire vehicle repainted.

We've had nothing but trouble with this vehicle and had close to a dozen major repairs/replacements that were fortunately under the extended warranty we paid for. This was a CPO vehicle originally.

We're pretty frustrated that we're now going to have to dump another $4100 into this vehicle that has already been nothing but trouble.

Any advice? We were thinking about paying $400 to get it buffed out as much as possible and then try to sell the vehicle back to a dealer.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they arent splitting anything.... they are discounting it that much & you pay rest ;)

most peeps were getting offers of 50% ( i got 50% offer too.... while vehicle was under the orig warranty)
but do you really want it repainted?

i had my roof vinyl wrapped
& am contemplating what to do w/ my hood.

should really be a class action law suit. btwn 3 or 4 forums, there are about 50+ peeps w/ similar issue of hood &/or roof (plus other areas)

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they arent splitting anything.... they are discounting it that much & you pay rest ;)

most peeps were getting offers of 50% ( i got 50% offer too.... while vehicle was under the orig warranty)
but do you really want it repainted?

i had my roof vinyl wrapped
& am contemplating what to do w/ my hood.

should really be a class action law suit. btwn 3 or 4 forums, there are about 50+ peeps w/ similar issue of hood &/or roof (plus other areas)

They are splitting. That's how the calculator works. The job goes warranty, GM pays 30%, customer pays the rest.

I'm usually all for original paint but if the paint is failing why wouldn't you want it repainted? It will only get worse.

OP
OP
A-Mac

A-Mac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are splitting. That's how the calculator works. The job goes warranty, GM pays 30%, customer pays the rest.

I'm usually all for original paint but if the paint is failing why wouldn't you want it repainted? It will only get worse.
It really comes down to whether or not we want to keep the vehicle. It's got 135K miles and the used market is so hot right now that we could get much more than we owe on it. Buffing it out to get it in decent shape and then selling it might be a good route for us.

Looch10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my 2016 Yukon. Also had the issue with my 2008 2500. Working with my GMC dealership now but haven’t heard back. I have heard of some people having it repainted free of cost.

Of note, you cannot buff out the clear coat failure. It will only make it worse if you try.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See what a local body shop says...
Some of those guys are geniuses when it comes to blending panels. They might be able to work it so you don't need a full repaint. They might be able to figure out a way to make your rig look better at a much lower cost than a full-body repaint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11