1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Tahoe - Starter issue

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Paul Cronin, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Paul Cronin

Paul Cronin TYF Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    We are having an issue with the starter on our 2015 Tahoe (111,000 miles) where you'll turn the ignition key and nothing...... try it again and it starts right up like nothing is wrong. It's happened several times in the last week and I'm concerned that the starter is beginning to fail. I've read some other posts about similar issues with older Yukons and the recommendation was to check the wiring and voltage and possibly replace the starter.

Thanks.

Paul

2. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia Full Access Member

Name:
    Joseph
    Could be a dead/burned out spot on your starter armature. Could be a starting-to-fail ignition switch ( had that on my 1997 Yukon - started acting intermittently, then failed completely.)

Other folks will chime in with their thoughts and perspectives.

PNW VietVet likes this.
  3. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    Sounds about right based on my past experience. Have coaxed more than a few starters to spin by tapping them with a hammer or an old night stick that I had in my trunk.

PNW VietVet and Joseph Garcia like this.
  4. Big Mama

Big Mama Full Access Member

Name:
    Steven
    Some of the wiring suggestions were the both battery cables but specifically the ground(s) with the gmt 8&9 not sure if the k2?? has the same issues at only 5 yo

PNW VietVet and Joseph Garcia like this.
  5. Jeramia

Jeramia Member

Name:
    jerry
    switch on brake pedal??

6. Larryjb

Larryjb Full Access Member

Name:
    Larry
    If you can remove the starter yourself, it's not much harder to rebuilt it. You can get rebuild kits for a fraction of the cost of a replacement starter. I tried the replacement route and a brand new ACDelco starter actually broke a week after I installed it. The original one I rebuilt works great.

PNW VietVet likes this.
  7. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    I would really start with the connections at both ends of both battery cables. Nice and clean and tight and if still does it then suspect the starter but at this point, how old is the battery? If is original the act of turning the key will start to excite the plates and acid in there and may be why it then starts on the second try. I would eliminate these before turning to the starter but it still could be the culprit and with a new starter you will want to be sure that these connections and battery age will be up to snuff anyway.

Miami-Dade and Larryjb like this.
  8. ChrisYukon

ChrisYukon Member

Name:
    Chris
    I’d start with the ignition switch.