2015 Tahoe LTZ Rough Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe replacing the struts would cause a check engine light to come on. I would do this in a minute but doesn't my Tahoe have shocks on four corners. Of course I probably have no idea what I'm talking about but it does seem logical that the check engine light would come on because I think there's a monitor in the system that alerts you of a problem with the suspension.
No, you have struts in the front and shocks in the rear.

If there is no code to throw in the system (you'd know more than likely because you'd have a " Service Suspension" message in the DIC) then I don't think you'd throw one replacing the front struts.

The suspension system you have there is nothing new. GM has used that system in Escalades and Yukons for quite a while now. Outside of a bad wiring harness, replacing the shocks and struts would be your best course of action unless for some reason it's in the computer (which would be rare).

I'd take it to a Cadillac dealership. They should be very familiar with that system. Virtually every Escalade manufatured in the past 10 years has had that system (or a variant of it). Maybe your shop isn't familiar with it and it would be good to get a fresh set of eyes on it. Not sure how long that system has been available in the Tahoe (I would think it was rare).

Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More tire sidewall, less wheel, lower air pressure
I agree. If he can't resolve another way he might want to consider a wheel swap. Going down to an 18 it 19" rim with higher sidewalls would help too.

Find someone with the smaller wheels and ask them to trade. I'm going to bet that you have someone take you up on the offer quick.

Also, you technically could bypass the mag ride control as well and put regular shocks/struts on there. They'd be cheaper to replace going that route too.

That combo with the smaller wheels should ride great.

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rig has 17" w 285/70/17

Lots of good choices of tires on a 17" rim...

OP
OP
D

donn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree. If he can't resolve another way he might want to consider a wheel swap. Going down to an 18 it 19" rim with higher sidewalls would help too.

Find someone with the smaller wheels and ask them to trade. I'm going to bet that you have someone take you up on the offer quick.

Also, you technically could bypass the mag ride control as well and put regular shocks/struts on there. They'd be cheaper to replace going that route too.

That combo with the smaller wheels should ride great.

How could I bypass Mag Control? Wouldn't a check engine light come on if the mag ride was disabled? No problem replacing mag ride shocks with after market.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make a bypass kit that plugs into the electrical connections on the truck. Basically, the truck thinks they're there. Let me see if I can find them.

Here's a kit for the Escalade. I'd call Arnott and see if they can help. I don't see the 2015 listed as supported but it may be the same.. lots of the suspension parts are between the model years.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_yid6_pid180_gid769.html

I might ask if you could keep the air ride shock that might be nice if you're going to use it to tow at all. If not, then you could easily delete that too.

I've bought parts from these guys before. Good stuff. They know what they're doing.

Last edited:

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have tried everything including replacing 22 tires with 20. Lowered tire pressure.

Going from 22 to 20 is like going from really really small sidewall to really small sidewall...

17" is what off-road vehicle typically use.. try a set of 17 wheels if you can.. if you go off-road you will want E load rated (10 ply) , but if you don't go off-road, you can get the same tire in a d load rating, which will have a more flexible sidewall and softer ride

OP
OP
D

donn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They make a bypass kit that plugs into the electrical connections on the truck. Basically, the truck thinks they're there. Let me see if I can find them.

Here's a kit for the Escalade. I'd call Arnott and see if they can help. I don't see the 2015 listed as supported but it may be the same.. lots of the suspension parts are between the model years.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_yid6_pid180_gid769.html

I might ask if you could keep the air ride shock that might be nice if you're going to use it to tow at all. If not, then you could easily delete that too.

I've bought parts from these guys before. Good stuff. They know what they're doing.

Best suggestion I've heard. I thought that if there was a way to replace the Mag Ride shocks it might be the answer. I couldn't figure out the engine light issue but you may have solved that problem. Buy a six pack and send me the bill.

OP
OP
D

donn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going from 22 to 20 is like going from really really small sidewall to really small sidewall...

17" is what off-road vehicle typically use.. try a set of 17 wheels if you can.. if you go off-road you will want E load rated (10 ply) , but if you don't go off-road, you can get the same tire in a d load rating, which will have a more flexible sidewall and softer ride
The truck has and never will be off road. Your idea concerning the 17" tires makes sense. You and 007matman have really given me some great suggestions to address the problem. When I make a comment about thew horrible ride most people asked what did I suspect after all it's a truck. Thanks again fore taking the time to reply.

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower air pressure in your tires helps too... you might lose a small amount of gas mileage, but so what, you should be comfortable... 17 inch wheels with the largest sidewall tire that will fit in the wheel well... in my 2012 Denali, that is 285/70/17... and the low end of the recommended air pressure in your tire of choice... a good tire shop should be able to reccomend the best tire for road ride comfort...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz