2015 Tahoe LTZ Rough Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone done any research on the rough ride issue that exist regarding 2015-16 Tahoe/Suburban LTZ rough ride situation? There's a GM TSB (PT 5429) that addresses this condition but it had no effect on my 2015 Tahoe with the Mag Ride Suspension. Rides like a covered wagon.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, I feel the same regarding our 15 yukon without mag suspension. I guess I'm used to it now, but it rides like a brick, IMO. I downsized to the 20" wheels too.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did they actually do for PIT 5429 on your ride?

i have heard some dealers only doing 1 of many things that need attention.

stuff i have seen from this & other forums:
-road force balance tires (all values under 15lbs)
-new tires {not from GM} (& road force balance them) [OEM tires suck & have multiple known issues]
-updated calibration for MRC
-change to updated shocks/struts
-PI1354, something about balance & runout of driveshaft
-updated body mounts

i also recall an issue something about defective welds on upper control arms that could effect handling & was a recall

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mag Ride shocks are pretty notorious for failing especially if you tow or the vehicle has been ratcheted down during transport. Seems the sensors get damaged and will falsely put the vehicle in firm mode.

My Esky had the same problem till i replaced the shocks.

No, there were no warnings or messages in the DIC. I talked to someone in another forum that had theirs fail under 20k.

I'd start by checking the electrical connections near the top of the shocks to ensure they're connected properly. If they are then you might have to throw some money at it and have the shocks replaced. Hold on to something when the dealer tells you how much they are though.

If you're a DIY person shocks are easy to do and much cheaper on Amazon than through the dealer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

donn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First I want to thank all for your replies. The PT 5429 directs the dealer to replace shocks, springs and re calibrate but this had zero effect. I have a personal friend who's the parts and service director at my dealership. He has confirmed the condition and describes it as rides like it's on a gravel road. New tires & wheels, road forced balanced at least four times at my expense, had the tires and wheels spin balanced. I have been able to get something done though. Of course I submitted a BBB claim but I knew that was going nowhere. I also submitted a claim to my states attorney which at least did get GM's attention. I met with two GM reps and informed them that...I've had four different Chevy dealers appraise my Tahoe. All four dealers were aware of the ride issue so they appraised my Tahoe between $7500.00- and $8200.00 fair market value. I knew if I sued in civil GM could stay out of court for years and I don't have GM's deep pockets. However suing GM in small claims court for "diminished value" might be the answer. As a last effort before filing in small claims I explained to a regional GM rep what I thought were my options. The end result was a voucher for $3500.00 that I can use toward the purchase of a new vehicle.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-road force balance tires (all values under 15lbs

The PT 5429 directs the dealer to replace shocks, springs and re calibrate but this had zero effect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, let me say I got these two different above statements from this post. In the past I have made it clear about my feeling of
Service Managers ( which I think they are educated idiots ) @ dealerships today. I have been around cars for a long time, and have never seen such BULLS___ T that exists today. When are people ( and not pointing fingers ) going to realize this is wrong and absurd @ the amount of money that's coming from you.
I realize that in 2001 GM did change the frame under the vehicle to a different & lighter one that is under my Tahoe. My vehicle has less than 60 miles before it reaches 200k, original alloys/ 4th set of Michelins/ and all the suspension including shocks, and rides like on air. Get back to basics for a great ride. JMHO and good luck. :2cents:
David g......:)

OP
OP
D

donn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
-road force balance tires (all values under 15lbs

The PT 5429 directs the dealer to replace shocks, springs and re calibrate but this had zero effect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, let me say I got these two different above statements from this post. In the past I have made it clear about my feeling of
Service Managers ( which I think they are educated idiots ) @ dealerships today. I have been around cars for a long time, and have never seen such BULLS___ T that exists today. When are people ( and not pointing fingers ) going to realize this is wrong and absurd @ the amount of money that's coming from you.
I realize that in 2001 GM did change the frame under the vehicle to a different & lighter one that is under my Tahoe. My vehicle has less than 60 miles before it reaches 200k, original alloys/ 4th set of Michelins/ and all the suspension including shocks, and rides like on air. Get back to basics for a great ride. JMHO and good luck. :2cents:
David g......:)
I appreciate your reply but I'd like to think that I'm as intelligent as the next guy. I'm not an easy mark for swamp land in Florida. All of the "basics" have been covered. The problem I have with this vehicle requires me to consider reasonable advice from the dealer. This is a $75,000 vehicle and accusing the service manager of being an idiot would not serve my agenda well. I may share your opinion regarding road force balancing but the process did actually diagnosed two defective tires that were creating a vibration at hwy speeds. Replacing the tires resolved the vibration I was experiencing but had no effect on the rough ride. Google Tahoe rough ride and you will see that possibly thousands of of 2015 -16 Tahoe LTZ Tahoe's are experiencing the same rough ride issue. GM did after all issue a TSB that was supposed to address the problem so I would have to think that GM also considered all the basics. GM has given me a $3500.00 dollar voucher and instructed me to make my best deal on a new Chevy and then use the voucher. $3500.00 is not much when I consider the time and money involved attempting to resolve this issue and $3500.00 wouldn't even pay the sales tax to purchase a new Tahoe Premier. Suing GM would be a waste of time due to GM's very deep pockets and an ability to stay out of court for years. So you see the intelligence of the service manager has very little if anything to do with what may resolve my problem. Logic tells me that GM understands they have a problem but don't seem to be concerned with the resolution...or they would not be handing out $3500.00 to spend on a new Chevrolet. I've owned several Toyota Four Runners and beyond regular maintenance the only thing I have ever had to do is replace an alternator. I believe the logical solution to this problem is to return to Toyota.

toi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need one or pair of new front struts. $340 each plus labor.
good luck

OP
OP
D

donn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you need one or pair of new front struts. $340 each plus labor.
good luck
I believe replacing the struts would cause a check engine light to come on. I would do this in a minute but doesn't my Tahoe have shocks on four corners. Of course I probably have no idea what I'm talking about but it does seem logical that the check engine light would come on because I think there's a monitor in the system that alerts you of a problem with the suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018