2015 Tahoe LS with 4" screen upgrade to 8" and IO 5 or better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Submariner70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe LS with the 4" screen and believe it is IO5. VERY BASIC! Want to keep it stock and clean and don't want to lose any of the vehicles factory features integrated into the head unit or steering wheel. Currently can't stream any music via Bluetooth or USB which drives me nuts and. I can only use Bluetooth for calls. It does have a backup camera.
What I would like is factory non subscription Navigation, Bluetooth for music as well as calls, music apps, vehicle info, don't know if an upgrade will offer the gridlines on the backup camera. What hardware needs to be changed out? Cost? Advice where to have it done vs dealer? Thanks in advance

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact MVI. They have a kit you can buy. I believe it was around $1,100 for me. I had an I03. If i were you, check your glove-box to make sure, but they look up what you need with your VIN. They provide the harness/Headunit/Module to get you going. I did all of the wiring myself and only ran into one issue, which they resolved. The HMI module they sent froze up after a day. They supply a YouTube video on how to do everything, but if you are not good with wiring, or taking trim/dash apart, I would leave it up to someone else.

OP
OP
S

Submariner70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So today I called a local dealership to see what it would cost for them to do the upgrade to IO5. My vehicle is already equipped with Sirius radio and a backup camera.
They said it would cost, GET THIS, $3,400!
Yet they couldn't tell me where the cost above and beyond the Display and HMI Unit brought it to that. The display is about $900-$1000, not sure about the HMI, what else hardware wise could possibly bring it to that. Sure there's labor too...

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just contact MVI and have a local stereo shop install it. It’s straight forward.

DaBigBR

Reaction score
You have IO3. For nav you need at least IO6. An up to date IO5 would include Android Auto and Apple Carplay, which would also let you navigate within that app.

Your best bet will be contacting MVI or another vendor that sells conversions for IO3 equipped vehicles. Expect to be north of a grand and for a relatively involved install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16