4.2 to 8in upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropdead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my 4.2 to an 8 inch. My thoughts are buy a i06 module along with an 8 inch screen from salvage. Has anyone done this upgrade? And if so what problems or success did you have?

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the IO3 Radio, it's not possible without over $2k in parts, soldering, ect...

If you have the IO4 Radio, it's just a simple swap out the old and in with the new.

mcgahawk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm interested in upgrading my 4.2 also... How do I determine if mine has the IO3 or IO4 Radio?

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too want to swap radios. My current radio won't stream BT audio. All I want is the bigger screen and the ability to stream BT. Possible?
If you have the IO3 Radio, it's not possible without over $2k in parts, soldering, ect...

If you have the IO4 Radio, it's just a simple swap out the old and in with the new.
how do you know this?

I've e-mailed quite a few companies who specialize in this and the response from them all has been "Not at this time". A few companies are "working on it", but so far no dice.

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too want to swap radios. My current radio won't stream BT audio. All I want is the bigger screen and the ability to stream BT. Possible?

how do you know this?

I've e-mailed quite a few companies who specialize in this and the response from them all has been "Not at this time". A few companies are "working on it", but so far no dice.

Because I've had more indepth conversations with these companies, rather than just "hey, do you have a plug & play upgrade avail"?

There are harnesses, wiring, brackets, and modules that are just simply not there with the IO3 Radio. As of now, the only way to make it happen is rip out the entire dash, basically start from scratch, and add these things. Cutting, soldering, bolting things in, ect... Trucks with IO3 do not have the ability to make an IO5 or 6 upgrade possible without extensive work.

These companies are doing everything they can to make the upgrade as installer friendly as they can, but it's going to take time.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I've had more indepth conversations with these companies, rather than just "hey, do you have a plug & play upgrade avail"?

There are harnesses, wiring, brackets, and modules that are just simply not there with the IO3 Radio. As of now, the only way to make it happen is rip out the entire dash, basically start from scratch, and add these things. Cutting, soldering, bolting things in, ect... Trucks with IO3 do not have the ability to make an IO5 or 6 upgrade possible without extensive work.

These companies are doing everything they can to make the upgrade as installer friendly as they can, but it's going to take time.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to make this a stickie!!!

OP
OP
D

Dropdead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You know I do have I03. Flip side is you can get a cooler radio than the oem touchscreen that will work. Theses radios are 7" DVD while driving with a $10 module to override the parking brake sensor. Preloaded with Nav. And all the bells and whistles. You will have to buy a 2015 radio harness about 150.00. So there you go all you I03 guys

GTPprix

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've helped someone with a PPV do this, total pain in the dick. Had to add HMI, New Radio, New Cluster with custom programming steering wheel controls and all MOST ring wiring... At that point screw it and get a new truck LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11