2015 Suburban..Water pump removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Dexmon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a bolt hidden behind the pulley such that you have to rotate the pulley and line up a hole with the bolt. Did you get that bolt out.

There is also a bolt on the bottom that is hard to see—you have to feel it.
Hi my friend I got it out. I hear to hit it a few times with a hammer to knock it out. I guess it was seized up. The truck had 263,000 miles on it. Thank you you for your help and be safe now.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's actually 6 holes my friend. I called a friend of mines who's a mechanic and he told I have to hit it with a hammer to knock it out. I guess it was seized up. I hit it three times and if came right off. Thank you for your help.

Yea, I can't see what you see so I was going off of what the attachment bolt count was at the link. Great that it came loose buy using my other recommendation though.

frontstmaui

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That thing is not bolted to a manifold. It is bolted to the front of the engine block and you are not going to break the engine block. There is a void on the passenger side of the engine block behind the water pump. Use a pry bar in there and pry the water pump off or use the hammer I suggested. Did you watch a you tube video?

Agreed... I have a couple of questions... 1) How bad was your water pump when you decided to change it?? If it was REALLY bad and the bearings/seals warped, it might have become lodged in there. Which means you are going to have to really go to town with it. I have foregone my core charge before with items and tapped/die'ed a bolt on parts to get leverage or fit a tool in there to remove things. 2) Is it the OG pump? Because some idiots will replace a pump and put WAY too much gasket seal on. Try getting a razor knife in there. I know it is tight. But even an inch or so can make a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cateyeburb

Latest posts