2015 Steering Column Knock, to be Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAgency

Reaction score
I know some have had a steering wheel "knocking" sensation, so I'd thought I'd share.

With roughly 10k on an early build 2015 SLT (non-"I" model) I began feeling and hearing a knock at about the 9 and 1 o'clock position, beginning intermittently and becoming more and more frequent over the course of about a 1,000 miles.

My dealership, who does happen to be excellent in my opinion regarding service, followed up on a service bulletin for a few loose bolts, etc, but all proved to be normal.

They've since decided to replace the steering column, which is in progress now. Apparently they only need a day to do so!

After a loose liftgate, a replaced headlight housing due to condensation, and now this, I do still have faith in GM. However, never will I ever buy an initial release model. My advice, always wait a model year!

MMXV Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had the same issue repaired this week. Got the tahoe back yesterday. Now the steering wheel is not aligned (needs to be at 11 o'clock to go straight), but it is also out of camber(?), meaning i need to reach farther with my left arm to reach it than I do with my right arm. I didn't even know this was possible, but it has been managed. I'm bringing to a different dealership next week for repair, as the previous has lost my trust and business.

STAY IN IT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had the same issue repaired this week. Got the tahoe back yesterday. Now the steering wheel is not aligned (needs to be at 11 o'clock to go straight), but it is also out of camber(?), meaning i need to reach farther with my left arm to reach it than I do with my right arm. I didn't even know this was possible, but it has been managed. I'm bringing to a different dealership next week for repair, as the previous has lost my trust and business.

Wow. Did they not check it after repair? Or maybe didn't think you would notice or care? Ridiculous. I had the steering column replaced as well and all seems OK now. I'm sure they will get it right for you the second time, but a complete waste of your time with one more trip to look at it and likely another trip to fix it.
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn