2015 GMC YukonXL- Fox Coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I came across the same backorder delay on the 3" fabtech. Had been considering the readylift 4" so pulled the trigger on that instead because of availability. More expensive, but less cutting involved, so hopefully saving a few hours in labor offsets some of the additional cost of the readylift over the fabtech. I do like that the front droop stops don't get chopped off, they have bump stop extensions for the rear, and I won't be stacking front lift components. Seems to be a pretty well thought out kit reading through the instructions. With the 4/3 readylift I'll be a little lower in the front than the 3/3 fabtech with 1.5 lower spacer, but think I'll be OK with the little bit of extra rake. Fingers crossed the install goes smoothly next week and I'll be sure to provide feedback in a new thread.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I came across the same backorder delay on the 3" fabtech. Had been considering the readylift 4" so pulled the trigger on that instead ...

@nick14226 - Can't wait to hear/see the updates! IMO you've made a good choice going with the ReadyLift SST 4/3. I was just about to do the same when I decided to go a different direction. Anyway, the ReadyLift product looks to have "stronger" components and I like the rear bracket extension on this much better than the FabTech.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out - well done!

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I came across the same backorder delay on the 3" fabtech. Had been considering the readylift 4" so pulled the trigger on that instead because of availability. More expensive, but less cutting involved, so hopefully saving a few hours in labor offsets some of the additional cost of the readylift over the fabtech. I do like that the front droop stops don't get chopped off, they have bump stop extensions for the rear, and I won't be stacking front lift components. Seems to be a pretty well thought out kit reading through the instructions. With the 4/3 readylift I'll be a little lower in the front than the 3/3 fabtech with 1.5 lower spacer, but think I'll be OK with the little bit of extra rake. Fingers crossed the install goes smoothly next week and I'll be sure to provide feedback in a new thread.

okay okay fine. I’ve been eyeballing the Readylift system as well and when you said they were in stock I was sold. I called my installer today to confirm and they’ll have it ready for the install in the next week. I called and canceled my Fabtech order. I was going to buy the front strut spacer ($100) and I was going to have to buy a 2” rear coil spring spacer ($50) w the Fabtech so the increased cost of the Readylift system wasn’t much more. The idea of waiting another month was not something I wanted to do.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay okay fine. I’ve been eyeballing the Readylift system as well and when you said they were in stock I was sold. I called my installer today to confirm and they’ll have it ready for the install in the next week. I called and canceled my Fabtech order. I was going to buy the front strut spacer ($100) and I was going to have to buy a 2” rear coil spring spacer ($50) w the Fabtech so the increased cost of the Readylift system wasn’t much more. The idea of waiting another month was not something I wanted to do.
Haha, well I hope your install goes smoothly as well!

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@nick14226 - Can't wait to hear/see the updates! IMO you've made a good choice going with the ReadyLift SST 4/3. I was just about to do the same when I decided to go a different direction. Anyway, the ReadyLift product looks to have "stronger" components and I like the rear bracket extension on this much better than the FabTech.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out - well done!
Thanks for the affirmation, we’re on the same wavelength with the readylift. I really like what you’ve done with the Tahoe so far, looking great, wish I could put a z71 facia and skid plate on the Yukon like you did. Look forward to seeing what else you end up doing!

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question open to anyone researching this...i have been told by numerous sources, 3" is max on these trucks with stock parts...2.5" is much safer.

but how does a simple drop of the dif correct what all is truely wrong?????

the control arm ball joint angles (lowers at 3" plus), get maxed to say the least...how are these companies expressing that a 4" is fine on stock parts without control arm drops and longer knuckles ???

i dont see it, even a correctly fabbed upper arm with high angle joints doesnt address the lower arm joint angles.

i am still leaning towards a simple 2.5/1.5 level lift or full blown 4" plus with all drops incorporated.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question open to anyone researching this...i have been told by numerous sources, 3" is max on these trucks with stock parts...2.5" is much safer.

but how does a simple drop of the dif correct what all is truely wrong?????

the control arm ball joint angles (lowers at 3" plus), get maxed to say the least...how are these companies expressing that a 4" is fine on stock parts without control arm drops and longer knuckles ???

i dont see it, even a correctly fabbed upper arm with high angle joints doesnt address the lower arm joint angles.

i am still leaning towards a simple 2.5/1.5 level lift or full blown 4" plus with all drops incorporated.
Definitely a valid point on the lower control arms and ball joints, they are not addressed in any leveling or "budget" kits that don't have replacement knuckles and dropped cross members like a 4" BDS or 6" kit. My 2 cents is that the lower ball joints, based on the angles, are more forgiving than the uppers to the angle change. Below is a pic of mine with the 2.5" and stock UCA's. The upper ball joint you can tell isn't right based on the way the boot looks, but the lower doesn't look too out of whack. Upper ball joint failures seem to get the spotlight, lowers don't seem to be mentioned much. Under-reported, or harder to notice when they fail perhaps, or the geometry just has more forgiveness.

The other thing that isn't addressed with these is tie rod angles. On my previous F-150 6" pro comp I'm pretty sure there was either spacers for the steering rack to drop it a bit and/or the connection point to the knuckle was higher. As I've mentioned here and there, the full blown 6" lift came with it's own challenges for me anyway. With that said, the 4" BDS looks like a very nice kit.

For the 2.5/1.5 you're considering. I would have nothing negative to say on the 2.5 front. If you have stamped UCA's seems many have made a case to replace those ASAP with any level because of ball joints popping out of the UCA's. For the 1.5 in the rear, only comment, my 1" rear went in fine but I get a clunk occasionally back there on hard right turns. I'm wondering if there's something relating to the sway bar end links or shocks since things are slightly stretched. Could be just mine and the 1.5 will be fine for you, just throwing that out there. Maybe you'd do rear shock extensions as well with the 1.5.

My biggest concern at the moment, and this would be with any lift that drops the front diff, is that it will change the angle slightly on the front driveshaft. I do drive in auto and 4HI on the highway at times, so hoping I won't pick up any vibration. On the F-150 with the 6" I had to pull the front driveshaft, re-clock and have it balanced due to vibration. Fingers crossed that won't come into play with the 4/3 readylift.

IMG_4089.jpg

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Admittedly when I see angles like this coming down the road I wonder about longevity of their LCA ball joints.

upload_2021-1-7_9-20-24.png

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nick, i would venture to say that the rear control arms probably touch the mount when cornering hard...the lift will cause a slight offset due to track bar length...making the arm closer to the mount, then a sharp turn forces flex of the bushing...and YOU have a slight clunk noise.

and thanks for that pic, it really helps highlight the upper arm joint angle. That solidifies my mind on knowing the upper arm replacement is needed for a 2.5 level.

a minor full droop situation could have a joint leave the arm.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nick, i would venture to say that the rear control arms probably touch the mount when cornering hard...the lift will cause a slight offset due to track bar length...making the arm closer to the mount, then a sharp turn forces flex of the bushing...and YOU have a slight clunk noise.

and thanks for that pic, it really helps highlight the upper arm joint angle. That solidifies my mind on knowing the upper arm replacement is needed for a 2.5 level.

a minor full droop situation could have a joint leave the arm.
Thank you for the feedback, I'll check them out. Might be worse with the 3" in the back then, so if I'm still hearing it more reason for the adjustable track bar to get the axle re-centered.

You're welcome for the pic, glad I could help. I'll share a pic of that area after the ReadyLIFT install as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts