2015 Custom Roof Rack Design - Extended Over Windshield to Hood Hinges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
have you thought about trying to sell the two you have and buying a used or new bigger one. I have a fairly good size Thule and go it used for $50 only missing the locks. Once I get the locks in ill be mounting it up and posting some picks of it.

jamesmckay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there,

First time posting on this forum. I'm in the early stages of designing a roof rack for my 2015 Suburban and was wondering if anyone had seen something like I'm trying to do.

I'm looking to mount two Thule Roof Boxes on top, one in front of the other. One is longer and one is shorter. In order to do this I need to have a cross bar much further forward than the standard roof rails allow.

I started looking at how to accomplish it and am tinkering with a design that looks similar to a jeep style roof rack with tubes running up the edges of the windshield and along the existing roof rails above. There appears to be a good mounting point at the hood mounting fasteners which are beneath easily removable cowl pieces.

It's going to take some fitup work, but I think it will be pretty clean looking and provide secure mounting for a forward crossbar tube near the top edge of the windshield.

Is there something out there already like this that I can purchase or copy?

Thanks

There is a lot of overhang with that front mounted box which will catch a lot of wind from the windshield and cause a lot of extra stress on the mounting hardware. A much better alternative would be to mount the boxes side by side on a set of extra wide crossbars. The Thule 460 Podium system would attach to your flush side rails, and you could select the 78" bars, and any extra bar length could be cut with a hacksaw.

VDV18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Agreed ^^^^

The difference between where it normally sits vs. overhang is the normal position retains the air flow from the windshield. The overhang will 'catch' the air flow and create a lot more drag. I'd be careful or you might end up with a partial sunroof :D

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I mentioned the potential fluttering from the airflow coming up the windshield earlier in this thread. Saw some type of Subaru with an xxl Thule on the NYS Thruway this weekend. The Thule extended in front of the roofline, but not as far as the OP is proposing here. The shake on the rack was noticeable as we passed them. Given our vehicles inherent vulnerability to buffeting, I wouldn't want to add something that might contribute.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring up an old one but i did this for a few years......IMG_9229.JPGIMG_9228.JPG
Def needed the air dam in front on top under boxes because vibrations were killing me...i have since went another way brcause i was tired of getting to where i was going and looking at the boxes on top and feeling annoyed not being able to wash it plus it wouldnt fit in any garage....i made brackets for my open trailer, good height, east access and i bring bikes, coolers etc. drop the trailer where i am and boom...free and clear hoeIMG_0195.JPG IMG_0209.JPG
Gas mileage is about the same as having boxes on top and bikes on back...

OP
OP
Rooster47

Rooster47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: The project is dead for now. We're moving across the country so I won't be working on this project.

I appreciate the concerns and examples of floppy roof boxes, but wasn't fully convinced. The difference between my setup and a subaru with a roof box sticking way out in front is that my arrangement would have the box mounting point moved way out in front as well. Oh well, maybe after I move I'll look into it again.

@Galante Thanks for the other ideas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo