Roof rack cross bars mounting points spinning HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardershack

Reaction score
I purchased some Ebay roof rack crossbars to mount to the roof rails of my Tahoe. I want to be able to strap a ladder or maybe a luggage box in the future to the roof if I ever need to. I probably won’t use them for anything too often but I also like the way they look.

On the driver side front position I pulled the rivnuts out and when I tightened the bolts down they would just spin and wouldn’t tighten down. I tried to back them out and they would spin and not back out either. I mounted the other side to see if it would be sturdy but it just didn’t work so I pulled the one side out and then pulled out the problem side and had to bend and pull on it until it would not spin and come out.

After looking at the other mounting positions, I realized the threaded mounting points on that one position aren’t supposed to spin. Now it seems like I’m screwed or I have to replace the factory rail in orders to mount some crossbars.

In the pics below, the part my fingernail is touching is where the bolts thread into and that is what is spinning. The other positions don’t. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a fix to this or is this just unfortunate and would need to replace that one rail before mounting crossbars. I went cheap on eBay but now it seems it’s going to be a whole lot more expensive to just get the crossbars I wanted. I appreciate the help in advance.

Attachments

• 3A64CE48-A08F-48B4-B0BE-FBBB8292590D.jpeg
    3A64CE48-A08F-48B4-B0BE-FBBB8292590D.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 4E7D0E00-AD74-4984-862C-3C4E59E80995.jpeg
    4E7D0E00-AD74-4984-862C-3C4E59E80995.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
C

cardershack

Reaction score
So I could just replace the two that are currently spinning? I’m not sure I know how to do that. I’m fairly handy but just don’t know how to get the ones spinning out and how to install new ones that I can mount the roof rack cross bars to. Thanks for the suggestion

OP
OP
C

cardershack

Reaction score
I’m doing some research and I’ve come across this part number: GM #20130258. Is this the well nut that goes on the roof rails?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icepick and drill to remove, grade 10.9 bolt and 2 nuts to install, or buy the installer.The Loose nuts holes oversize already, so GM nut wont fit.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly they are installed from underneath the headliner.

OP
OP
C

cardershack

Reaction score
I may run to the dealership and ask. Obviously want to fix as cheap as possible. At first I thought it was a cheap product bought off eBay but once I investigated and realized the wellnuts or rivnuts were spinning, I don’t think it’s the product at all. I appreciate all the input. I’m still researching and will update any information. I figure out please keep the help coming.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the roof rack rails in case he can't fix the screw holes for the cross bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts