2015 Custom Roof Rack Design - Extended Over Windshield to Hood Hinges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rooster47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there,

First time posting on this forum. I'm in the early stages of designing a roof rack for my 2015 Suburban and was wondering if anyone had seen something like I'm trying to do.

I'm looking to mount two Thule Roof Boxes on top, one in front of the other. One is longer and one is shorter. In order to do this I need to have a cross bar much further forward than the standard roof rails allow.

I started looking at how to accomplish it and am tinkering with a design that looks similar to a jeep style roof rack with tubes running up the edges of the windshield and along the existing roof rails above. There appears to be a good mounting point at the hood mounting fasteners which are beneath easily removable cowl pieces.

It's going to take some fitup work, but I think it will be pretty clean looking and provide secure mounting for a forward crossbar tube near the top edge of the windshield.

Is there something out there already like this that I can purchase or copy?

Thanks

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will that give you much more storage than going with one xxl Thule? I've tinkered with mounting something along the side of our xxl. Wish I could offer some advice, keep us posted.

OP
OP
Rooster47

Rooster47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think they make a box equivalent to these two. I picked up the stubby one tonight and set them up on top how I'm planning. Sitting in driver I couldn't see the box unless I leaned forward.

Sorry so dirty, haven't cleaned up since our snow storm...IMG_20170126_202640.jpg IMG_20170126_202450.jpg

OP
OP
Rooster47

Rooster47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just saw the XXL has 22 cubic feet of volume. The Evolution I already had has 18 cubic feet, and the added Excursion has 13 cf more. So almost half again as much storage... If I can pull it off.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea. You have to drill the roof for that front brace? Just looking at the picture, I wonder if you'd be able to keep that front box from fluttering. You might also consider a box for the trailer hitch unless you're towing at the same time. But I'm sure you can make this work. Good luck

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started considering what it would take to do something like that on my 2009. Unfortunately I have VERY little clearance over my truck to my garage entrance (not just the door!)

My thinking was to go old school on the front supports and either just use a really solid suction cup or consider gluing something in place. There are some seriously strong adhesives so you won't compromise the integrity of the body there. If you did that and were going to put a lot of weight up on it I'd look inside to see if some kind of bracing would be needed on the sheet metal.

I was going to look at something that would mount down to the existing rails and extend full length. Considerations are clearance for the tailgate to rise (my LTZ has a little aero piece that sticks up when you open it) and visibility up front. I wanted to be able to carry a 24' ladder up there and probably some odd pieces of lumber.

For me it would have to be very low profile to the roof. Of course I couldn't carry anything on top getting in and out of my garage. A friend recommended putting a step ladder in the way so you wouldn't pull in with something on top. He rides bicycles...

Balcho77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like the idea. What about a stripped down ladder rack. There are some pretty sweet aluminum ones out now that don't look too industrial. They seem to come over the windshield like you want to do. Just get the frame and go from there. Another option would be to fab or have fabbed, a system that runs inside your existing roof rails and secures tightly to your crossbars and the rails.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea. What about a stripped down ladder rack. There are some pretty sweet aluminum ones out now that don't look too industrial. They seem to come over the windshield like you want to do. Just get the frame and go from there. Another option would be to fab or have fabbed, a system that runs inside your existing roof rails and secures tightly to your crossbars and the rails.

I'm not impressed with the strength of those crossbars. Personally I'd find a way to connect directly to the rails.

OP
OP
Rooster47

Rooster47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, I'm making some progress.

@NYisles1 I don't expect any fluttering. The box will be supported the same as if it was on the roof rack. It's just that the roof isn't so close to the bottom of it in the front.

@PatDTN - My plan is for the rack to not be any higher than the stock cross bars. I'll be tying the tubes into the rails and the end of the tubes into the windshield hinges via a bracket.

I picked up the 1" x 0.120 tubing that I plan on using for all of the rack pieces. I had a friend help me make some temp brackets for positioning the tube where I want it in relation to the rail:
View media item 26213View media item 26214

I used a couple pieces of tube and triangulated the front tube angle and decided that I need a 30" radius bend to match the side profile of the windshield to roof. The tubes are just there to help capture the angle at this point. It will be one continuous tube from the back to the front and bent down the windshield.

View media item 26216View media item 26215

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting start. Please keep up posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz