2015 4x4 Tahoe - purchased lowered and need to raise 2-3" above stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And when I look at front coils I'm not seeing any wire or anything that says I have the magneride or anything, but how do I know for sure?

Check the RPO codes for "Z95" or look at the top of the where the struts are, like the last pic in your first post. If you had it and it was bypassed, there'd be a wire breaking out of the main harness with something plugged into the end of it (the bypass "module") or the end of the wire cut off and a resistor spliced in. Someone could even splice in the resistor and tuck it back into the conduit and tape it closed. Buying a modified vehicle secondhand often leads to a little treasure hunting.

OP
OP
John Hanses

John Hanses

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Dub, that's all pretty much what I was thinking. I'll have to check on the ALC sensor - looks like to me it's roughly 2.5" ball to ball but I'll look closer. I'll have to get my head around what a longer or shorter one means based on what they're tied to - longer = higher or the other way around! :). I'll also see what people think of the electronic dampening - I'd be good without it unless people rave about it. Thanks again!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dub, that's all pretty much what I was thinking. I'll have to check on the ALC sensor - looks like to me it's roughly 2.5" ball to ball but I'll look closer. I'll have to get my head around what a longer or shorter one means based on what they're tied to - longer = higher or the other way around! :). I'll also see what people think of the electronic dampening - I'd be good without it unless people rave about it. Thanks again!

Simply put:
Lowered vehicle = shorter link, lifted vehicle = longer link

If you wanna picture it:
Vehicle is lowered, control arm swings upward, pushing sensor arm upward. Shorter link brings it back down towards the stock position
Vehicle is lifted, control arm swings downward, pulling sensor arm downward. Longer link brings it back up towards the stock position

I like the electronic damping when it's new and fully functional. But it quickly and easily fails. I've read of some reports of the shocks failing because someone raised the vehicle on a lift and it extended the shocks and somehow damaged them. Afterward, the vehicle rode like a wagon because the shocks were locked.

They're very expensive to replace and when I lowered mine, I had to get lowering struts and shocks so I disabled the system. I've driven well over 1,000,000 miles in vehicles with non-active damping and made it by just fine. There are millions of others with the same experience. The key is that you need struts and shocks that are a proper replacement for the electronic ones. Since you'll be lifted, you should probably get some that are a little firmer than stock to account for the higher roll center. Bigger companies have already done the R&D for you: Take Rough Country for example. Their struts and shocks come standard on the newer Z71 trucks. Maybe look for direct replacement struts and shocks for a Z71 Tahoe. To throw out a name, you can't go wrong with Bilstein.

OP
OP
John Hanses

John Hanses

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks again Dub, I'll probably skip the electronic dampening and go with Rough Country or the like. I've used them on at least a couple vehicles and had no issues. I've been lifting and supercharging most everything I've owned, from a couple 4Runners, FJ, ect.. All were just 2-3" and were simple except the FJ - don't remember why but there was a point I could have used another hand. Also had the dealer do the supercharger since it included injectors and kept my warranty in tact. Loved that vehicle but wasn't the most roomy for camping.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifted and boosted FJ- nice!

Good luck with your Tahoe and post some updated pics!

OP
OP
John Hanses

John Hanses

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some I'm deep in "it" now! Put the rear springs on and 3" spacer (eliminated the shock extender) - and wow! Difference is 6" from the lowered height. On the front is where I'm screwed! Bought some heavier duty struts for a 3" lift and 3" spacers. As I get the strut in it appears there's no way to get the upper and lower arms together again - when I try to jack the lower toward the upper it lifts whole vehicle! So, apparently the spindle is for lowering and I have to get some stock ones! I can't find any in stock anywhere and tried looking for used ones with no luck there either. I have to work soon and can't do so without my Hoe! Any ideas? Do I just post on the forum what I'm looking for? I did a search but didn't come up with anything. :-(

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the ball joint unbolted from the spindle?

Best I could tell from the pic, I really don't think you have lowering spindles. Unless I missed something.

OP
OP
John Hanses

John Hanses

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have some stock ones they sent me a pic of - but they're 2 hrs away! I'm trying to tell from the pic if I have stock or lowering ones! REALLY hard to tell!
I do have the ball joint out now.

OP
OP
John Hanses

John Hanses

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sort of stuck! I don't see how the spindles would even help the problem I'm having - apparently stock or lowered keeps the control arms the same distance from each other - it's more where the axle comes through! With the strut fully extended and attached to the bottom arm and the the top, jacking up the lower arm raises the whole vehicle - meaning with everything connected the truck will sit with the strut fully extended!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of stuck! I don't see how the spindles would even help the problem I'm having - apparently stock or lowered keeps the control arms the same distance from each other - it's more where the axle comes through! With the strut fully extended and attached to the bottom arm and the the top, jacking up the lower arm raises the whole vehicle - meaning with everything connected the truck will sit with the strut fully extended!
So with the full weight of that corner of the truck on the strut, the strut isn’t collapsing at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon