Lowering and Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yesitis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I know that parts of this question have been discussed in other threads, but I could not find a true answer to my questions, so please forgive the repeated questions if there are some. Just looking for feedback and help from other owners that have done what I want to do.

I posted this yesterday but put it in the wrong area - thanks to those that helped point that out, so I could get it to the right place.

I have a 2020 Tahoe Premier with RST performance package. I have the magnetic ride control suspension. I do not have the Max Trailering Package.

I want to have a local shop install a 2/3 lowering kit to get rid of some of the gap in the wheel wells while still keeping the slight stock rake angle. I have 22" wheels (stock for winter and Vossen HF6-1 for summer).

I tow a 5k lb pontoon boat and trailer and a 3k lb utility trailer.

I like the slight rake that the truck has, especially because when I tow, I hate the look of the rear end being lower than the front when towing. Just my personal preference.

Anyway, my question is other than overall 2/3 lowering kit, do I need anything else? I only have 30k on the truck, so I don't need to replace the shocks yet. Do I need to replace the rear stabilization/torsion bar (or do I even have one or need it?)

Looking for feedback from people who have done the 2/3 lowering kit on a Tahoe RST, Tahoe Premier, Yukon Denali or Escalade (as all of those have basically the same set up that I do) and I want to know how it tows and what you needed to upgrade/change when you had it dropped.

I want to go into the shop with knowledge, so that they do not try to sell me something I don't need, but also sell me all that I actually do need. I am a DIY guy, but not when it comes to taking apart a suspension or engine.

I have had cars lowered before, but never a truck that I also used for towing (yes I have had trucks lowered before with spindles, etc)

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate the feedback.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lowering kit are you getting? While it SHOULD come with everything needed, I suppose that is not always the case with some kits.

Also, you say your tahoe does not have max trailering package, but does it have the rear auto leveling shocks? If so, that should keep the rig level while towing a boat (even if it is basically level when not towing).

OP
OP
yesitis

yesitis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do have the auto leveling.
I am not sure what kit. I still have to decide on the shop to do it. A lot of shops don’t do trucks except for lifts that I see around.
I have looked up kits online and some come with shocks some don’t. Some come with a sway bar some don’t. I am not sure which one I would need. Was looking for advice from here from people that have done this before and then would start asking those pointed questions of any shop I “interview”.
Thanks.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the front you want 2” drop spindles so your geometry stays the same. The rear needs 3” drop springs and shock extenders. I’m unsure if you can do a free travel mod on the new rigs. Some may say you need it others may not. You will want shorter bump stops. Your auto leveling will handle the rear when you tow.

Trides

Reaction score
Does the rear still have the rake when towing now? If it does that means your air shocks work properly to maintain the rake. I wouldn’t see how lowering the rear would impact the rake you like.

I don’t tow anything but since lowering 2/3 the rear shocks will air up and down when carrying items in the back.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t tow anything but since lowering 2/3 the rear shocks will air up and down when carrying items in the back.
Did you use shock extenders and shorten the actuator rods?

Trides

Reaction score
Did you use shock extenders and shorten the actuator rods?
Yes I used both as they were included in the Belltech kit. I had the dealer complete a ride height trim procedure calibration after installation.

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rear airs up more than it used too I’d think the rods are too short or the shocks are getting softer. I can tell you that after lowering mine it airs up when I back down my driveway. No big deal though.

OP
OP
yesitis

yesitis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their feedback.
Another question. Anyone that has lowered with the 2/3 or even 2/4 have you since driven in snow (paved roads just not plowed) and had any issues with 4wd high or low?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne