2015 4wd Tahoe stalls loses all power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Jones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all!
YES I DO! I just had weeks of this very same exact thing happen on my 2016 Tahoe Z71 LT and it left me stranded more than once in severe weather and with my grandkids but one day it just died completely.

I found that even though the terminals are very tight and clean even with a brand new Duracell AGM Battery, that it started it again after leaving SAMs with the new battery because it had killed my other one.

However, after it left me dead cold in a storm, a amateur radio friend pulled up and twisted the two black cables where it goes up inside the lead connector on the cable on the GROUND terminal and the whole truck woke up, alarm went off crazy and I was able to climb straight in it and crank it.

I had already taken it into the local dealer but I won't name them but they even missed it.

I took the truck in the next Monday morning and asked to have the whole ground cable replaced and ONLY that cable.

They charged me $269 but I've yet to have any other power issues!!!

Thank you for posting this. I’ve had this issues for several months -in my 2015 Tahoe LT. One time it happened trying to cross a busy intersection in Dallas w/my wife and toddler in the car. Right in the middle of the intersection the engine (& all power) went kaput! Nerve wracking to say the least. I’ll take it into the shop this week & show them your fix.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There’s two TSB on what’s posted here. I’ll follow up later with the entire GM TSB link.

One TSB is for a known issue on electronic assist steering where it fails to respond to input then immediately overcompensates with more wheel movement in the same direction. They offer a software update to correct it.

2nd TSB is the odd engine running condition caused by part of the harness wires rubbing out near the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John0521

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all!
YES I DO! I just had weeks of this very same exact thing happen on my 2016 Tahoe Z71 LT and it left me stranded more than once in severe weather and with my grandkids but one day it just died completely.

I found that even though the terminals are very tight and clean even with a brand new Duracell AGM Battery, that it started it again after leaving SAMs with the new battery because it had killed my other one.

However, after it left me dead cold in a storm, a amateur radio friend pulled up and twisted the two black cables where it goes up inside the lead connector on the cable on the GROUND terminal and the whole truck woke up, alarm went off crazy and I was able to climb straight in it and crank it.

I had already taken it into the local dealer but I won't name them but they even missed it.

I took the truck in the next Monday morning and asked to have the whole ground cable replaced and ONLY that cable.

They charged me $269 but I've yet to have any other power issues!!!

I have a 2015 Tahoe experiencing the same issues of losing power and power steering ability. It originally would only happen at low speeds and turning but also has happened just driving straight (only recently) It’s been going on intermittently since 2016 when I first bought it. Initial trips to the dealer were not helpful. There are two recalls that seem to relate to these issues and the dealer has completed those...which I think mostly were just software updates. After the experience I had yesterday (briefly losing power, maybe a second, on the highway and then subsequently losing all power and bring stuck in the middle of a parking lot) I was set to trade this in. This post sounds reassuring so I’m going to give it a try. Thanks for the post!!

Organs_Rare

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe experiencing the same issues of losing power and power steering ability. It originally would only happen at low speeds and turning but also has happened just driving straight (only recently) It’s been going on intermittently since 2016 when I first bought it. Initial trips to the dealer were not helpful. There are two recalls that seem to relate to these issues and the dealer has completed those...which I think mostly were just software updates. After the experience I had yesterday (briefly losing power, maybe a second, on the highway and then subsequently losing all power and bring stuck in the middle of a parking lot) I was set to trade this in. This post sounds reassuring so I’m going to give it a try. Thanks for the post!!

Hey did you find out if it was the negative cable? Having same issue now and the dealership only found a bad positive cable (the short one thay goes from battery to fuse block) but the problem persists. I swear it's something with the negative cable because I didn't have it as tight after I died in the middle of the road I moved it a little bit and it turned back on. The dealership told me to change out the starter otherwise they wouldn't go further which is stupid. I'm out of warranty.

Please let me know thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE