2014 Denali 2WD to 4x4 Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliDan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings everyone! I bought my 3rd Yukon a couple years ago and finally got the Denali I wanted, except for one thing, it's 2wd. But for the price and mileage it was too hard to pass up.
I've been doing a ton of research and I know the '14 Denali's are either 2WD or AWD, but I don't actually want AWD. I've had SLT's in the past and really liked their 4x4 capabilities. I also know they all use the same transmission the 6L80 regardless of drive type.

I've been creating a parts list of what I might need. But I'm just not sure this has been done before. NGL it would be kinda neat to have a fairly unique 4x4 Denali with the 6.2L engine!

From what I can tell I need the following:

Transfer Case Adapter ~ $95
Transfer Case ~ $385
Drive Shaft Front ~ $85
Drive Shaft Rear ~ $110
Front Diff Assembly~
Front Driver Axel Shaft ~
Front Pass Axel Shaft ~
Front Driver CV Joints
Front Pass CV Joints
Transfer Case Control Module
Front 4x4 Hubs

I'm not certain what else I'm missing. If you'd be so kind to let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Mechanically speaking, I think this could really work. It's the electrical part that has me concerned. The ECU probably needs alot of reprogramming. But since the Denali only comes in AWD or 2WD, I'm not sure if the computer will like being told it's now a 4x4.

Any help or guidance would be awesome. Thanks so much in advance!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure there is a way to achieve what you are wanting to do, but personally, I don’t see the value in it.

Also, I think you are somewhat optimistic with your pricing. Unless there has been a big drop in the price of transfer cases, when I replaced the one on my 2007 AWD Denali it ran me $1400 for a reman from GM. A used front differential was $800+.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a cool project and if you figure it out and share what it took it would be interesting to read along.

I have no clue what controls the transfer case. but that would be the info I'd start with. I think I'd get a service manual or something with all the wiring diagrams and stuff to start with, and then I'm only guessing but whatever the wires lead to module wise would probably need flashed to run it? so you'd wanna dig into how flash the gm software at home. so you can't try different software and if it doesn't work flash back to stock without dealer visits. there's threads about that here.

just as some side info the hybrid denali came with with the 4x4 transfer case not the awd.. everything else is different thou tranny wise. but just the tiny little bit of info I know lol.

OP
OP
D

DenaliDan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am sure there is a way to achieve what you are wanting to do, but personally, I don’t see the value in it.

Also, I think you are somewhat optimistic with your pricing. Unless there has been a big drop in the price of transfer cases, when I replaced the one on my 2007 AWD Denali it ran me $1400 for a reman from GM. A used front differential was $800+.
Being near Phoenix there's a salvage company that pulls parts. So it's used and that price is from their website. I bought a 2nd row bench to replace my captains chairs and I was very impressed with how clean and quality the part was.

I'm curious though behind your thoughts as to why you don't see the value? Would you mind explaining your rationale?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being near Phoenix there's a salvage company that pulls parts. So it's used and that price is from their website. I bought a 2nd row bench to replace my captains chairs and I was very impressed with how clean and quality the part was.

I'm curious though behind your thoughts as to why you don't see the value? Would you mind explaining your rationale?
My thoughts are this:

Your time is worth something. To physically get the components installed on the vehicle is one thing. To get them all to work together and complete all the necessary programming, flashing of modules and the like, is another thing.

Don’t get me wrong, I like a good challenge, but I just feel that by the time you achieve your end goal, you would have been time and money ahead to sell the vehicle you have and either buy a 2015 Denali that has a switchable transfer case, or by a 2014 Suburban LTZ which is pretty much the same as the Denali, just with out the 6.2L.

OP
OP
D

DenaliDan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My thoughts are this:

Your time is worth something. To physically get the components installed on the vehicle is one thing. To get them all to work together and complete all the necessary programming, flashing of modules and the like, is another thing.

Don’t get me wrong, I like a good challenge, but I just feel that by the time you achieve your end goal, you would have been time and money ahead to sell the vehicle you have and either buy a 2015 Denali that has a switchable transfer case, or by a 2014 Suburban LTZ which is pretty much the same as the Denali, just with out the 6.2L.
I appreciate your thoughts on that. I certainly would go for a 2015 Denali, but they're all at least $12k above what I can get out of mine. And mine is paid off and I've found I actually get much better gas mileage than the SLT I traded for mine. I'm also hoping I can do this conversion for between $4-5k. And being retired allows me with plenty of time on my hands, so that's a plus. Thank you though and I hope you stick around to see how this project turns out!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your thoughts on that. I certainly would go for a 2015 Denali, but they're all at least $12k above what I can get out of mine. And mine is paid off and I've found I actually get much better gas mileage than the SLT I traded for mine. I'm also hoping I can do this conversion for between $4-5k. And being retired allows me with plenty of time on my hands, so that's a plus. Thank you though and I hope you stick around to see how this project turns out!
:popcorn:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to make this work with factory components unless you can get one of the aftermarket programming companies on board and they don't care about these trucks anymore. Many modules will need reprogramming and a lot of wiring will be needed to add the transfer case control module which is on the high speed LAN.

I couldn't get White Auto and Media to help me combine programming on the door modules for an Escalade and Yukon to add the auto-up windows to my old Denali and keep the heated/ventilated seats working. I also couldn't get anyone to help me unlock/reprogram a 2010 radio to work in my 2008. Save your money and time and just sell the truck and buy one that has what you want. This isn't possible any more.

OP
OP
D

DenaliDan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You won't be able to make this work with factory components unless you can get one of the aftermarket programming companies on board and they don't care about these trucks anymore. Many modules will need reprogramming and a lot of wiring will be needed to add the transfer case control module which is on the high speed LAN.

I couldn't get White Auto and Media to help me combine programming on the door modules for an Escalade and Yukon to add the auto-up windows to my old Denali and keep the heated/ventilated seats working. I also couldn't get anyone to help me unlock/reprogram a 2010 radio to work in my 2008. Save your money and time and just sell the truck and buy one that has what you want. This isn't possible any more.
Yeah, that was the major concern I had about this project was all of the ECU and module components working together. I do appreciate your recommendation on this. Maybe I do just need to save up for the next gen of Denali that has 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10