2013 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Yukon 2WD with a 5.3 and I was wondering how long they typically last? The only major problem I’ve had with it is the catalytic converter‘s had to be replaced but but I was told it was probably from a misfire before I bought it used. That was done at 112,000. It currently has 113,500 on it. It is serviced regularly; oil changes every 3000 miles with all recommended service done when it is recommended. It really still drives great. Also would it be a good tow vehicle I was thinking about getting a boat ?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continue to take good care of it, and it should last well over 200k miles. There will be some maintenance items that will pop up, some of them somewhat expensive, but when compared to the cost of one of these trucks new, it will still remain a bargain.

I should also note that if you live in an area where salt is used in the winter, frequent trips through the car wash should be part of your routine maintenance, as a great drivetrain and interior is of little value, if the frame and/or body rusts out on you.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Yukon 2WD with a 5.3 and I was wondering how long they typically last? The only major problem I’ve had with it is the catalytic converter‘s had to be replaced but but I was told it was probably from a misfire before I bought it used. That was done at 112,000. It currently has 113,500 on it. It is serviced regularly; oil changes every 3000 miles with all recommended service done when it is recommended. It really still drives great. Also would it be a good tow vehicle I was thinking about getting a boat ?

Take care of it and it will take care of you. I bought my '08 at 146K, tore the engine down at 200K, liked what I saw and put it back together pretty much as-is except for AFM delete, new oil pump, timing set, etc. I then proceeded to add a mild performance cam, minor head work to raise compression and a looser torque converter. I now beat on it regularly. I even took the fam on a 1,500-mile trip to Tampa, FL and hauled back a 900lb golf cart on a 400lb trailer and a full cargo hold, confidently and in comfort while averaging 17MPG.

Being a 2013, you have the latest and greatest version of this generation. I don't think they changed anything of any significance for 2014. The AFM system is about the only real concern with these. But, yours should have the most updated variants of the parts and you're keeping clean oil in it, which is the best thing you could possibly do. Keep the transmission happy, too. I highly recommend a Black Bear tune to clean up the factory throttle and shift characteristics to not only greatly improve the drivability, but to prolong the life of the transmission.

As for towing, how big a boat are you talking about? What areas will you be towing in? Does your Yukon have the factory tow package? Post up a pic of your RPO sticker located on the inside of the glove box door.

OP
OP
P

preston123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Take care of it and it will take care of you. I bought my '08 at 146K, tore the engine down at 200K, liked what I saw and put it back together pretty much as-is except for AFM delete, new oil pump, timing set, etc. I then proceeded to add a mild performance cam, minor head work to raise compression and a looser torque converter. I now beat on it regularly. I even took the fam on a 1,500-mile trip to Tampa, FL and hauled back a 900lb golf cart on a 400lb trailer and a full cargo hold, confidently and in comfort while averaging 17MPG.

Being a 2013, you have the latest and greatest version of this generation. I don't think they changed anything of any significance for 2014. The AFM system is about the only real concern with these. But, yours should have the most updated variants of the parts and you're keeping clean oil in it, which is the best thing you could possibly do. Keep the transmission happy, too. I highly recommend a Black Bear tune to clean up the factory throttle and shift characteristics to not only greatly improve the drivability, but to prolong the life of the transmission.

As for towing, how big a boat are you talking about? What areas will you be towing in? Does your Yukon have the factory tow package? Post up a pic of your RPO sticker located on the inside of the glove box door.

Attachments

• 0E51BC43-EB0D-4CF5-951F-F0F0EC8EC569.jpeg
    0E51BC43-EB0D-4CF5-951F-F0F0EC8EC569.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
P

preston123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Attachments

• 64F13057-462F-4B39-AB84-72CEFF454BFB.jpeg
    64F13057-462F-4B39-AB84-72CEFF454BFB.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
P

preston123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think it should have the tow package and a heavier rear end. I would probably get as big of a boat as I could and still be safe at the boat ramp with a 2 wheel drive and good tires. Maybe something that can make it off shore a little bit.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup- it has the heavy duty cooling package and 3.42 rear gear. Since it has the 6-speed auto trans, that gear ratio is the taller one associated with the towing package. The standard is 3.08. With the older 4-speed autos, 3.73 was the "big" gear.