2013 Tahoe LT Headroom Problems, Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nick Nizinski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm 6' and have plenty of room. I'm surprised 3" makes that much of a difference. Maybe I have my seatback angled back further.

I don't know what seats are in the LT model. Is your seat the 6 (maybe it's 8) way adjustable? Have you tried tilting the entire seat back?
tilting the seat back has me unable to reach the wheel without my rib dislocating (my back is a mess). 3'' def makes that much of a diff, especially since I sit up extra straight bc of my back issues... thanks for your response

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, the gears work and it is in the lowest position. I hear that the suburbans are slightly larger but I could be wrong about that. I am likely going to remove the seat upholstery completely and zip tie a piece of sheet metal to the springs, then superglue on somme thin foam... should do the trick (utility versus style)
When you lower the seat, make sure it is as level as possible. If it is low in the front or rear, it won't be able to go down all the way.

While the moonroof reduces headroom, there's more headroom IMO under the glass. I'm not as tall as you fellas but can wear my Sam Houston hat with its 5" brim without hitting anything.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tilting the seat back has me unable to reach the wheel without my rib dislocating (my back is a mess). 3'' def makes that much of a diff, especially since I sit up extra straight bc of my back issues... thanks for your response

As a guy who has sold more than one car because I couldn't make it work with my back, I am very sympathetic.

My back is also a bit of a mess. I had to modify my Yukon seats when I bought it (and is one of the many reasons I likely will keep it for the rest of my life, driving life anyway). Recently when we bought my wife a new Toyota Highlander, I had to remove the lumbar adjustor in the seat back and cut some custom foam to adjust for my back's support. To get her seats in a tolerable position, my head is maybe 1/4" from the headliner. To be honest, when we brought it home, I was pretty sure I would never be able to make it work for me. But persistence paid off and I now can drive it without it killing me.

OP
OP
N

Nick Nizinski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a guy who has sold more than one car because I couldn't make it work with my back, I am very sympathetic.

My back is also a bit of a mess. I had to modify my Yukon seats when I bought it (and is one of the many reasons I likely will keep it for the rest of my life, driving life anyway). Recently when we bought my wife a new Toyota Highlander, I had to remove the lumbar adjustor in the seat back and cut some custom foam to adjust for my back's support. To get her seats in a tolerable position, my head is maybe 1/4" from the headliner. To be honest, when we brought it home, I was pretty sure I would never be able to make it work for me. But persistence paid off and I now can drive it without it killing me.
Although it sucks to have back issues, its nice to have someone who sympathizes... I am motivated to make it work. thanks for your reply

OP
OP
N

Nick Nizinski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you lower the seat, make sure it is as level as possible. If it is low in the front or rear, it won't be able to go down all the way.

While the moonroof reduces headroom, there's more headroom IMO under the glass. I'm not as tall as you fellas but can wear my Sam Houston hat with its 5" brim without hitting anything.
I will give it a shot and report back...

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the auto seating business for 25 years- I worked for Lear Corp. largest builder of auto seats. We designed ALL the 800/900 series seats.

You need to lower your H-point Google it

Have a local auto upholstery shop pull the seat cushion (the part you sit on) and remove the plush pad that is sewn to the bottom of the seat cover. Alternatively they can take a foam shaper (an air tool that looks like a mini sander) and remove about 3/4 inch of foam on the seat cushion center and bolster.

The Suburbans have EXACTLY the same H point - so NO HELP there. They are longer wheelbase for third row seats

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the auto seating business for 25 years- I worked for Lear Corp. largest builder of auto seats. We designed ALL the 800/900 series seats.

Have a local auto upholstery shop pull the seat cushion (the part you sit on) and remove the plush pad that is sewn to the bottom of the seat cover. Alternatively they can take a foam shaper (an air tool that looks like a mini sander) and remove about 3/4 inch of foam on the seat cushion center and bolster.

The Suburbans have EXACTLY the same H point - so NO HELP there. They are longer wheelbase for third row seats
I had Lear-Siegler seat in my '85 T-Type, they were not as comfortable as the plain AR9 buckets but they sure did hold you in place when whipping around corners and such! Probably didn't spend enough time with the adjustments to get the fit just right.

OP
OP
N

Nick Nizinski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Already took it to a restyler- they removed most of the foam but it didn't help and I believe it is because the leather has tension in it and, just like a rope, tenses up as I sink into the seat, thus preventing me from gaining any additional headroom. (someone mentioned that this wouldn't be an issue with fabric seats which now makes sense.

My solution: pull off the upholstery, fabricate a piece of steel, zip-tie it to the springs of the seat and superglue on a half inch piece of camping mat... I know it will look like **** and will not be very comfy but I just need utility over style and safety over comfort.

watched a vid on how to remove the upholstery and noticed how much space is between the springs and the top of the leather leading me to believe that my plan will be effective. wish I could turn back the clock and get a 2015 that actually fits me. Thank you for your feedback

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts