2013 Escalade ESV AWD front differential left side axle bearing...loose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Evening, All

I have run into the first potential issue with my new to me 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD.
I think the front differential left side axle bearing is loose/worn/failing/etc...

As with any new to me vehicle, I was changing all the fluids. While changing the front differential oil. I bumped my arm against the left side axle output flange on the casing. It moved a bit. I grabbed it and found some lateral play. Meaning I could move it towards the front of the vehicle a bit, and then move it towards the back of the vehicle a bit.

For giggles, I checked the right side axle output flange. It did not have any lateral play.
I am new to the GMT900 platform, but this does not seem right to me.
I don't see any evidence of oil leakage from the seal, nor any metal particles from the flange grinding against the differential casing. The old oil didn't have any real metallic particles or sheen. It just looked like decent condition old gear oil.

I wanted to run this by you guys before I start hassling the dealership about the 2 year powertrain warranty.

Here is a photo of the axle output flange in question:

2021-10-14 021.JPG

Thanks for your time!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Evening, All

I have run into the first potential issue with my new to me 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD.
I think the front differential left side axle bearing is loose/worn/failing/etc...

As with any new to me vehicle, I was changing all the fluids. While changing the front differential oil. I bumped my arm against the left side axle output flange on the casing. It moved a bit. I grabbed it and found some lateral play. Meaning I could move it towards the front of the vehicle a bit, and then move it towards the back of the vehicle a bit.

For giggles, I checked the right side axle output flange. It did not have any lateral play.
I am new to the GMT900 platform, but this does not seem right to me.
I don't see any evidence of oil leakage from the seal, nor any metal particles from the flange grinding against the differential casing. The old oil didn't have any real metallic particles or sheen. It just looked like decent condition old gear oil.

I wanted to run this by you guys before I start hassling the dealership about the 2 year powertrain warranty.

Here is a photo of the axle output flange in question:

View attachment 352814

Thanks for your time!
If it’s not leaking or making any noise, send it.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s not leaking or making any noise, send it.

To be honest...that is my cautious mentality right now. It drove fine on the test drive on Monday. Driver drove it 200+ miles to my house Tuesday evening, said it drove fine. I have been driving it since. I have felt no issues driving.
More importantly, I have to go back to work tomorrow night. Soo...

We shall see. I am off again Monday morning.

Thanks!

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monday was a debacle at a dealer service department dealing with the check engine light. However...one good thing is I asked them to look at this axle flange. The tech said that kind of play was normal for this front drive axle.
Good enough for me.

I am in the middle of transmission work now. I will create that thread, and update my other two threads this weekend. I hope.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aw sh*t...

I have read through the service manual, looks like the front differential has to come out to replace the bearing. Grrrr...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aw sh*t...

I have read through the service manual, looks like the front differential has to come out to replace the bearing. Grrrr...
Yup. I'm handy with engine work, but diffs I farm out to a quality driveline shop. Again, if it's not leaking or making noise, let it run until it does one or the other. Mine in my '07 has some play in it, which makes sense after 217K miles, but my '12 does not.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo...what the crap? While doing the transmission work today, I figured I would check out that axle output flange again.
It is tight. There is NO play. No side to side. No in and out. Nothing.
I don't know what that dealership technician did...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs