2013 Escalade aftermarket turn signals flash too fast when ambient temp is warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

I paid off my 2013 Escalade ESV Premium back in the middle of March. To celebrate, I purchased new aftermarket headlight assemblies, fog/turn signal assemblies, and LED tail light assemblies throuigh 1A Auto.
About a month ago, I noticed the turn signals(as viewed from inside the cabin) would start to flash too fast when the ambient temp outside was relatively warm. IE in the sunny afternoons versus the chilly mornings. This happens on both sides of the vehicle.
I have verified that the front and rear turn signals are flashing too fast when this happens.

My Escalade had incandescent turn signal bulbs in the front, and factory LED tail lights in the rear. The new aftermarket parts were the same.

To my limited knowledge of people retrofitting LED lights to vehicles, the turn signals flash too fast with the LED's because there isn't the resistance of the filaments of the incandescent bulbs. However, since my Escalade had LED's factory in the back, this should not be an issue.
I am suspecting whatever is wrong has to do with the tail lights. I can't see the incandescent bulbs in the front being a problem.

Being 2 months out from purchase, I am going to assume I am out of warranty.
Any idea how I should start troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

I paid off my 2013 Escalade ESV Premium back in the middle of March. To celebrate, I purchased new aftermarket headlight assemblies, fog/turn signal assemblies, and LED tail light assemblies throuigh 1A Auto.
About a month ago, I noticed the turn signals(as viewed from inside the cabin) would start to flash too fast when the ambient temp outside was relatively warm. IE in the sunny afternoons versus the chilly mornings. This happens on both sides of the vehicle.
I have verified that the front and rear turn signals are flashing too fast when this happens.

My Escalade had incandescent turn signal bulbs in the front, and factory LED tail lights in the rear. The new aftermarket parts were the same.

To my limited knowledge of people retrofitting LED lights to vehicles, the turn signals flash too fast with the LED's because there isn't the resistance of the filaments of the incandescent bulbs. However, since my Escalade had LED's factory in the back, this should not be an issue.
I am suspecting whatever is wrong has to do with the tail lights. I can't see the incandescent bulbs in the front being a problem.

Being 2 months out from purchase, I am going to assume I am out of warranty.
Any idea how I should start troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks for your time!
All lights, regardless of type, are made with physical components that expand with heat and contract with cold. Because the behavior in yours changes with temperature, that tells me that the resistance in the electrical componentry is also changing with temperature. If it were mine, here is what I would do:

1.) Verify that ALL incandescent and LED elements are lighting up when you're getting the fast flash. If not, you have your culprit. If they are, then:
2.) Clean every connector with electrical contacts cleaner and try again. If no joy, then:
3.) Get out your meter and check resistance to ground for the negative wire of each light connector. Check voltage to each positive wire as well, which should rise to battery voltage with each flash.

An alldatadiy subscription would give you access to the troubleshooting steps as well as the wiring schematics.

My bet is that you have a poor ground or connection somewhere that's acting up only when the temperature rises.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All lights, regardless of type, are made with physical components that expand with heat and contract with cold. Because the behavior in yours changes with temperature, that tells me that the resistance in the electrical componentry is also changing with temperature. If it were mine, here is what I would do:

1.) Verify that ALL incandescent and LED elements are lighting up when you're getting the fast flash. If not, you have your culprit. If they are, then:
2.) Clean every connector with electrical contacts cleaner and try again. If no joy, then:
3.) Get out your meter and check resistance to ground for the negative wire of each light connector. Check voltage to each positive wire as well, which should rise to battery voltage with each flash.

An alldatadiy subscription would give you access to the troubleshooting steps as well as the wiring schematics.

My bet is that you have a poor ground or connection somewhere that's acting up only when the temperature rises.

Thanks, Geotrash! That all makes sense. I bought an updated alldatadiy subscription for my Escalade when I bought it. I will do just as you suggest.

I did verify the front and rear turn signals are all flashing, just too fast.
I am off work tonight, and am going outside shortly to start working on the Escalade.

I will report what I find.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I got some troubleshooting done today before the storms rolled in.

Using the electrical prints from AllDataDIY, I found the tail lights grounded to G400 and G401. Both those points were on the left rear body mount. Both grounds looked OK, but it looked like they had been installed over undercoating.

I removed the screws and ground tabs. I was able to clean up all the undercoating with a scraper, brake cleaner, and rags. Wire brush was onhand, but not needed. There was no corrosion on the body mount, screws, or ground tabs. I reinstalled everything nice and tight.

I disconnected the tail light plug on each side, cleaned both connectors and receptacles with DeOxit D5 spray, and let them dry.

Using a jumper from the battery (-) post, I read 0.4 ohms between the battery (-) and G400, G401. (0.2 ohms of that was my meter leads.) As well, I measured 0.4 ohms from battery (-) to the black ground wire in each body side tail light connector.
So, I believe the tail lights are getting a good, solid ground.

I reconnected the tail light plugs, sprayed G400, G401 with Fluid Film, and went for testing.

FAIL. Right side turn signal flashes fast after 2 blinks. I verified the front turn signal, door mirror repeater, and rear turn signal were all flashing fast.

There is far more to take apart to access the front turn signals, and the sky was looking threatening. I will continue troubleshooting another day.

2022-05-21 010.JPG
Ground points G400 and G401 on the left rear body mount bracket. They look OK, but appear to be smooshed in undercoating.

2022-05-21 016.JPG
Screws and ground tabs removed.

2022-05-21 015.JPG
Ground tabs dirty, but not corroded.

2022-05-21 020.JPG
Body mount cleaned, ground tabs and screws cleaned, then all reassembled.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More photos...

2022-05-21 021.JPG
G400, G401 sprayed with Fluid Film.

2022-05-21 018.JPG
Body side tail light receptacle. All pins were clean and shiny. (This is the left side. Right side looked identical.) Wetness is DeOxit D5.

2022-05-21 017.JPG
Housing side tail light plug. All slots were clean and shiny.

Reaction score
Do you still have the stock headlights and taillights? If so, maybe just set the taillights under the bumper and plug them in and see if you still get the fast flash. If so, it rules out the new taillights.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello gooffeyguy!

Oh yeah, I kept all the components that came off. However, they are in my storage bay in the next town over. I will dig them out after my road trip end of this month.

And, thinking through what geotrash initially wrote for troubleshooting, it may be something as simple as the chineseum light bulbs that came with the front turn signals. I installed those bulbs because they were new. I will get a pair of quality bulbs, install them, and see what happens...

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to add in a resistor when using LED bulbs to make the BCM think there is a load there because LED bulbs have basically no load (compared to an incandescent bulb). VLEDs has a nice resistor that crimps to the wiring very easy. I used them and their bulbs on both of mine.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to add in a resistor when using LED bulbs to make the BCM think there is a load there because LED bulbs have basically no load (compared to an incandescent bulb). VLEDs has a nice resistor that crimps to the wiring very easy. I used them and their bulbs on both of mine.

Very good point!
However, my 2013 Escalade had LED taillights as factory. I just replaced them with aftermarket LED taillights. For the front turn signals, I stayed with incandescent bulbs.

Thanks!

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last weekend I was off, I was able to retrieve the original front turn signal/fog lamp assemblies from my storage bay. As well, I took a chance and ordered new Sylvania 3457A bulbs. I swapped the original bulb sockets into the aftermarket housings. I liked the construction and quality of the originals. As well, the bulbs I took out of the original sockets were 3457A. I installed the new bulbs when I put it all back together.

Unfortunately, no change in the flashing.

I have since retrieved the original LED taillights from my storage bay. I will swap them back in at some point soon.