2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tie bars next time?
Thought about it, but decided to go with Chevrolet Performance lifters and trays. This new cam is relatively low lift compared to the others (.501 for the new Cam Motion vs .553 for the BTR and .578 for the Vinci), and has a relatively gentle ramp, so it should be easy on the lifters and springs. I've read that link bars are great for bigger cams but that the pivot point can wear out over the long term. I figured that the GM lifters and trays can run for 300-400K, so I should be okay with them on this new cam for many, many miles. I hope to never have to touch this engine again.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, with the counterfeit market on ls lifters now a days - link bar lifters is all i plan on using.... decent set is $800+ though. but two ruined cam swaps cost a lot more
I think that's wise - especially for the kind of power you're running. That said, I've noticed that when I buy GM parts from a reputable supplier like Summit Racing or BTR, they always come in a box or bag that's sealed with a GM holographic sticker. When I see that, I'm okay trusting the parts. The Chevrolet Performance lifters arrived yesterday, sealed with the GM label. Bought them through Summit.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea ive also noticed GM is making an effort to combat the fake products with the packaging...ive bought a few parts and its nice to see the holograph on there.

when i first did the cam swap, i used ws6 store for the dod delete - i like the guys but for the "kit" everything came in generic packaging, they claimed the lifters/head gaskets were bought in bulk 100 at a time...i used some of it and didnt have problems but just for the time it takes to swap a cam in the grand scheme another hundred or couple hundred bux would have been worth it

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea ive also noticed GM is making an effort to combat the fake products with the packaging...ive bought a few parts and its nice to see the holograph on there.

when i first did the cam swap, i used ws6 store for the dod delete - i like the guys but for the "kit" everything came in generic packaging, they claimed the lifters/head gaskets were bought in bulk 100 at a time...i used some of it and didnt have problems but just for the time it takes to swap a cam in the grand scheme another hundred or couple hundred bux would have been worth it
100%. And my experience as documented thoroughly now, is ample evidence that you're right.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
100%. And my experience as documented thoroughly now, is ample evidence that you're right.

For me, my experience with it also raises questions in my mind about how I reach trust in people I do business with, and who I can/should trust. Roger came recommended to me based on positive experiences others here had with his cams and valvetrain components. And, his support and responsiveness were excellent. So I trusted him at his word, even as the evidence was mounting during the first cam swap that his parts were suspect.

Some may remember that one of the lifters I received from him at the beginning wouldn't fit in any bore, which he replaced. When they later failed, I also questioned why the rollers were narrower than stock lifters. He claimed that they were spec'd that way, but I've since learned that those lifters were likely also cheap Chinese knock-offs. I also explained to him that the damage pattern suggested that the lifters were twisting in their bores, which he quickly downplayed, citing his "metallurgical analysis" of the failure pointing to lack of adequate lubrication and debris. Yet, I knew that I'd pre-lubed the cam properly, had been maniacal about keeping everything spotlessly clean, and that the oil pressure on the first (and subsequent) startups was well within spec.

Makes me feel like a fool for continuing to trust him as the evidence continued to mount that some of the parts I'd gotten from him were subpar. Buyer beware.
I feel your personal and financial pain, and it truly sucks. You are now at the bottom of the valley in this experience. IMO, it is time to move on to whomever you select for your next vendor to work with, and get your truck operational again and on the road.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your personal and financial pain, and it truly sucks. You are now at the bottom of the valley in this experience. IMO, it is time to move on to whomever you select for your next vendor to work with, and get your truck operational again and on the road.
Yup. Now just waiting on *good* parts. :) And, I've learned a lot. I could do this job in my sleep!

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This right here is why I posted some of those things in my build thread. I compared, measured and scrutinized the key parts. I lucked up and bought my lifters near the end of '19 when not only the price was still reasonable, but the OEM supply was strong so the market wasn't flooded with knock-off crap. I still closely compared them to the ones I took out of my motor. I documented the install, specifically the clearances, of my Circle D torque converter. Documented the timing chain comparison, the oil pump shimming, the quench height and push rod measurements, crank and head bolt torque angles. I'll be damned if I have a failure and someone tries to pin it on faulty installation.

As it seems so far, the only failure I'm subject to is from beating the snot out of a 215K-mile engine.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new cam arrives today - a week ahead of schedule. Cam Motion for the win! Going to be a long weekend because I'm changing the motor mounts and engine oil cooler lines "while I'm in there". I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes. Oh, and I'm using brand new Chevrolet Performance lifter trays.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new cam arrives today - a week ahead of schedule. Cam Motion for the win! Going to be a long weekend because I'm changing the motor mounts and engine oil cooler lines "while I'm in there". I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes. Oh, and I'm using brand new Chevrolet Performance lifter trays.
I wish you the best of outcomes for your weekend work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645