2012 Yukon Denali XL BENT FRAME

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Denali12, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Denali12

Denali12 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    A guy on my street reversed into me at about 20-30 MPH. He hit me right in the wheel. Knuckle + tie rods were replaced, but the truck still wasn't right. Frame is bent & dealer is going to replace it. Anyone have experience with this? Should I be ready to sell the truck when I get it back?

2. mikeyss

mikeyss Full Access Member

Name:
    Mike
    I'm surprised the insurance is paying for that. Frame replacent isn't a big deal, it's just costly. Once they lift the body off of the frame, there is a lot of suspension parts and drivetrain parts to swap over to the new frame. I wouldn't rush to get rid of it over this, it will look almost brand new again under the vehicle.

3. thompsoj22

thompsoj22 Full Access Member

california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
    Name:
    john

Im amazed it cant be straightened? collision repair shops can work magic straightening frames. Im not buying it? especially since it is bent/misaligned at an extremity. Get another opinion, The replacement frame will likely be a salvage not new. What does the car fax report identify? not trying to bum you out but my opinion is trade it in on a different one and "do not allow" the dealer to do a frame replacement. What is the estimate/cost of a frame replacement in man hours alone????????

Cusomano likes this.
  4. Denali12

Denali12 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    The dealer said total cost would be around $5-$6K. Way less than I thought it would be. I know they ordered the frame from Detroit & is supposed to be a new GM part. Should be interesting..

swathdiver likes this.
  5. thompsoj22

thompsoj22 Full Access Member

california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
    Name:
    john

Than id guess it would be new! im just trying to understand how a dealer will do it? is there a method that im unaware of supporting the entire drivetrain in the chassis and dropping the frame out the bottom??? The cost is less than an engine change? wow i know i sound negative but the fact that every single engine/trans/drivetrain/fuel/brake/electrical harness/emission/hvac component has to be R&R for a cost of 5 to 6K$ ??????????????????? Hey good luck, And i mean that sincerely. Ill be watching for the "happy" ending to your experience!

Denali12 likes this.
  6. kbuskill

kbuskill ***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!

Name:
    Ken
    Body swaps are really not that bad... I've done several... not specifically on the GMT900 platform but other GM products with a full frame.

I am shocked that the insurance is choosing to go this route rather than total out the truck or put it on a frame machine and straighten it.

Denali12 likes this.
  7. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    probably sounds harder than it is I would suspect pull off the bumper covers, hood, drop the gas tank, disconnect the front & rear hvac, disconnect the brake lines, steering linkage, transmission linkage, ebrake, harness(s) unbolt the body

lol, then swap the drivetrain to the new frame, suspension, fuel lines, brake lines, wiring

those guys pump them off the assembly line nobody's business must be a trick to it

Denali12 likes this.
  8. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    There are videos on youtube showing GMT900 frame swaps. I'd like a 2500s frame!

Denali12 likes this.