2012 Tahoe..Stabilitrack and skid lights on. Tach not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just started yesterday while on road. Felt a jerk from rear, lost power then two lights came on my dash. Also tach stopped working. Stopped for a while and everything back to normal. But on way home, happened again. Check engine light also came on. Again after rest, all lights and chk engine disappeared. Any thoughts? 2012 Tahoe lt 186k miles.

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Just started yesterday while on road. Felt a jerk from rear, lost power then two lights came on my dash. Also tach stopped working. Stopped for a while and everything back to normal. But on way home, happened again. Check engine light also came on. Again after rest, all lights and chk engine disappeared. Any thoughts? 2012 Tahoe lt 186k miles.
had auto parts store read codes. Showed crankshaft position sensor code. Having sensor replaced now.

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Had crankshaft sensor replaced. No problems after a day of driving. Found more power (less sluggishness), and even my sound system sounds better! I’m going to drive for a week before I say it’s definitely fixed, though

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Replacement of the crankshaft position sensor may require a shim or not, and a relearn procedure.

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Sensor position on 5.3L engine is behind the starter. Starter had to be removed to access. Once that is done, simple process to remove one bolt and install new, then reattach sensor
Crankshaft position sensor was replaced a week ago now. After driving about 300 miles, found no problems with stabilitrac, skid, or check engine lights appearing. Gas mileage has also improved, and sluggishness also disappeared. Hard to believe a faulty sensor could cause that many problems! I’m grateful for this find!