2012 Tahoe LTZ w/221k....should I even consider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmt502

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the boards and trying to learn a lot, quickly. I’ve been on the hunt for a ‘10 to ‘12 4wd Tahoe for a while now. I let one slip by a couple of weeks ago and am determined to not let that happen again.

I’m going to look at a ‘12 LTZ with 221k on the clock tomorrow morning. My question is, should I even be considering this truck based on the mileage? I’m looking for this to be a “secondary” vehicle that I’ll use for limited work travel and also for towing a boat, which I am also in the process of trying to find.

Carfax shows this to be a one owner vehicle that was bought and serviced locally throughout. Oil changes every 7k miles. Torque converter replacement at 73k, brake fluid flush and new brakes at 171k.

Some cosmetic items are expected and the drivers side door pull appears to be messed up, which I’m willing to replace.

Am I crazy for even considering this?

Thanks!

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No your not crazy but at that mileage i would not pay much. Engine oil pressure is a real important thing to watch. Door pulls are common repairs. Also which engine? 5.3 or 6.2?

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a high-mileage GM truck; they're cheap and easy to repair and can go a long time! As long as its not your only vehicle I think it's a go, but I agree with not paying much.

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
It’s a 5.3. Looking to do $11k. Not wanting to get into too much of a financial commitment.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No your not crazy but at that mileage i would not pay much. Engine oil pressure is a real important thing to watch. Door pulls are common repairs. Also which engine? 5.3 or 6.2?
Did I miss something? When did GM put a 6.2 into a 2012 ltz tahoe? asking for a friend

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the boards and trying to learn a lot, quickly. I’ve been on the hunt for a ‘10 to ‘12 4wd Tahoe for a while now. I let one slip by a couple of weeks ago and am determined to not let that happen again.

I’m going to look at a ‘12 LTZ with 221k on the clock tomorrow morning. My question is, should I even be considering this truck based on the mileage? I’m looking for this to be a “secondary” vehicle that I’ll use for limited work travel and also for towing a boat, which I am also in the process of trying to find.

Carfax shows this to be a one owner vehicle that was bought and serviced locally throughout. Oil changes every 7k miles. Torque converter replacement at 73k, brake fluid flush and new brakes at 171k.

Some cosmetic items are expected and the drivers side door pull appears to be messed up, which I’m willing to replace.

Am I crazy for even considering this?

Thanks!
I just picked up a 08 Ltz with 251k for 5grand I’d go for it don’t be scared of miles especially if it’s highway miles like mine if you take care of them ls motors they can go on 400-500k easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a 5.3. Looking to do $11k. Not wanting to get into too much of a financial commitment.

$11k is way too much. A truck with that mileage is only is worth about $6-7k. I bought mine 2 years ago with 150k miles for $9k, though it doesn't sound as well cared for as yours.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Late 2008 2WD LTZ's could have a 6.2, and all of 2009 an LTZ with 2WD or 4X4 could be optioned with a 6.2. 2010 the 6.2 option was dropped....for some stupid reason.

As the other members have said, the mileage for the one you're looking at isn't scary, but that price is. I wouldn't spend a dollar over $8K in my opinion.

Why do you want a '12 - '14, just curious? 2009-2011 are also good years, as they all had the 6 speed. Only a few things changed for 2012 that the older ones didn't... A heated steering wheel and they changed Bluetooth functions. Oh and I think the 6 speed had some reprogramming done in 2012

Reaction score
I think 2012 started hill start assist and something with the braking, like powertrain braking or something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk