2012 Tahoe LTZ w/221k....should I even consider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the main plus for 2012+ is the updated navigation head unit that dropped dvds for a hard drive. You can store 20G of music and pause live radio, but you cant stream music. It also saved new roads that were not on the map...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
Ok, so an update. I went and drove it, liked it and bought it today! Didn’t pay near asking price btw.

Now I’ve got some things to fix on it. The first major thing is the drivers side door panel. The door pull/arm rest is completely broken. Where can I get a new one?? I’ve been searching parts sites, but not sure which site to trust. None show real pictures and the descriptions are vague at best. I think my colors are dark cashmere and light cashmere. It’s an LTZ and has power/heated/cooled seats.

The second thing is an intermittent message for service suspension system. It doesn’t always appear on startup, but I’m sure something needs to be fixed. I know you can have the codes read but any ideas of how to troubleshoot myself would be awesome. Many part stores aren’t offering their code read service due to covid precautions right now.

Overall it really does feel like a solid truck. Transmission feels solid. This is definitely a keeper for me and I’m looking forward to fixing her up!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Door panel is a junk yard thing, I’m sure you can buy new but prob not worth it... they all tend to break. There is a thread on here somewhere on A diy how to fix ... service suspension is prob the compressor for the rear shocks or Someone swapped factory struts/shocks and put resistors to trick computer...

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
Door panel is a junk yard thing, I’m sure you can buy new but prob not worth it... they all tend to break. There is a thread on here somewhere on A diy how to fix ... service suspension is prob the compressor for the rear shocks or Someone swapped factory struts/shocks and put resistors to trick computer...

How can I check on the resistor thing? I’ve read that you should hear the compressor when you turn the key to the on position, and I don’t. Would that be the case with resistors?

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whatever its worth - I have a 2007 with 291,500 (5.3) on it of which I put 90% on. Other than standard maintenance I have no major issues.
I changed the oil every 3,500. My oil pressure is around 30 at idle and 45ish at 70 mph (2,000 rpm).

However, check the motor mounts.
Check the trans fluid for color - or just change it and the filter
Change the differential(s) and transfer case fluids.
Might want to consider an AFM delete whether by tune or a Range unit.
Rear main might leak a bit like mine but its tolerable.
Is it from snow country - if so wash out the fender wells and if there is rust starting inside top clean it up and undercoat. Other wise she'll rust because the winter crap gets caught up in the tops inside.

Like some one else stated in this thread just keep up on maintenance and it will run for a long time.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10