2012 Tahoe LTZ - can I completely remove the Bose amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the maestro will retain everything, sirius/xm is built into the headunit so if you want satellite radio you will need a receiver, onstar is a separate module in the bottom of the console.
as far as running new speaker wires don't waste your time the factory wiring is good for 200w (per channel).
the only feature you wont have is the pop-up on the radio when you are low on fuel, it will still show up in the dic.
all your chimes, rap, etc will still work.

you should be able to buy a harness that will let you just patch right into the bose harness and then you won't have to cut any wires

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roshambo14

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Success! Removed it and everything still works. It was a long day of installing everything and I'm still not done yet, but after testing everything out, I can say everything still works. I haven't done a full stereo retrofit in probably 20 years, it was a lot easier and faster to do installs on 80s S10s lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
the maestro will retain everything, sirius/xm is built into the headunit so if you want satellite radio you will need a receiver, onstar is a separate module in the bottom of the console.
as far as running new speaker wires don't waste your time the factory wiring is good for 200w (per channel).
the only feature you wont have is the pop-up on the radio when you are low on fuel, it will still show up in the dic.
all your chimes, rap, etc will still work.

you should be able to buy a harness that will let you just patch right into the bose harness and then you won't have to cut any wires

Link to said harness to bypass Bose amp?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link to said harness to bypass Bose amp?
I Think a couple different company's make them, this should work it's only $65
https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/audio-interfacing/aoem-gm1416
then again maybe not for bose, says it needs a additional plug with nav
metra/axxess probably makes one I bought one for my Silverado but didn't work for what I needed because I was still using the oem headunit but adding amps and speakers, the adapter I needed was $350

kbuskill

Reaction score
I Think a couple different company's make them, this should work it's only $65
https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/audio-interfacing/aoem-gm1416
then again maybe not for bose, says it needs a additional plug with nav
metra/axxess probably makes one I bought one for my Silverado but didn't work for what I needed because I was still using the oem headunit but adding amps and speakers, the adapter I needed was $350

My Kenwood has RCA outs but I had thought it would be nice to have an adapter that would plug into the wiring going to the speakers from the factory amp without cutting any of the factory wiring that way I could hook it up to the aftermarket amp.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Kenwood has RCA outs but I had thought it would be nice to have an adapter that would plug into the wiring going to the speakers from the factory amp without cutting any of the factory wiring that way I could hook it up to the aftermarket amp.
the problem seems to be the amount of channels you have the adapter I linked will work for 4 channel, my truck has 10 speakers so you have to use a dsp I am not sure how these trucks are wired, on the nbs the tweeters are wired in-line with the door speakers, may not be the case on our trucks, on my 18 Silverado all 6 speakers are wired separate so I had to buy a 6ch amp that would split a channel and then another amp for my subs. Then I didn't need to use a DSP I just split the front channel to 4 speakers with the amp, 2 speakers for the rear and added another amp for the subs and retained the factory head unit (for now) so I ended up with 8 speakers. I couldn't use the amp bypass harness because on the 18 the factory headunit gets power from the bose amp, then to complicate shit even more door chimes go to one speaker, bluetooth goes to another speaker, backup sensor chime goes to another speaker lol so I ended up loosing backup sensor chime for now until I replace the headunit. I used hi/low rca adapters and it cost me like $30 plus a amp kit. they make a module for it but it's $350 and I wouldn't need it once I replace the headunit. There may be a module for our nnbs out there with bose I haven't found the right one yet though, all ADs makes in amp replacement is 2014 and up and it only works with specific amplifiers.

kbuskill

Reaction score
the problem seems to be the amount of channels you have the adapter I linked will work for 4 channel, my truck has 10 speakers so you have to use a dsp I am not sure how these trucks are wired, on the nbs the tweeters are wired in-line with the door speakers, may not be the case on our trucks, on my 18 Silverado all 6 speakers are wired separate so I had to buy a 6ch amp that would split a channel and then another amp for my subs. Then I didn't need to use a DSP I just split the front channel to 4 speakers with the amp, 2 speakers for the rear and added another amp for the subs and retained the factory head unit (for now) so I ended up with 8 speakers. I couldn't use the amp bypass harness because on the 18 the factory headunit gets power from the bose amp, then to complicate shit even more door chimes go to one speaker, bluetooth goes to another speaker, backup sensor chime goes to another speaker lol so I ended up loosing backup sensor chime for now until I replace the headunit. I used hi/low rca adapters and it cost me like $30 plus a amp kit. they make a module for it but it's $350 and I wouldn't need it once I replace the headunit. There may be a module for our nnbs out there with bose I haven't found the right one yet though, all ADs makes in amp replacement is 2014 and up and it only works with specific amplifiers.

NNBS has the A-pillar tweeters in parallel with the front door speakers and the D-pillar speakers in parallel with the rear door speakers.

My truck is an '08 with the premium (dumb) Bose amp instead of the Luxury (smart) Bose amp, so no center speaker in the dash.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NNBS has the A-pillar tweeters in parallel with the front door speakers and the D-pillar speakers in parallel with the rear door speakers.

My truck is an '08 with the premium (dumb) Bose amp instead of the Luxury (smart) Bose amp, so no center speaker in the dash.
That pac adapter "should" work then, it say's it covers all trim levels but conflicts where it say's not compatible with premium which probably means you might loose a channel that you might have had with the lux

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01