2012 Tahoe LTZ (Bose & Nav OEM) replacment options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFWGMguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX linked below and I love it. Wireless Apple Carplay, all steering wheel controls work, rear DVD, OBD2 integration, navigation, bluetooth, it just does it all. I used the Maestro RR module with the RR-GM5+ and AV-GM5 harnesses. I just installed this yesterday and still have a couple kinks. The second row screen works fine, but the 3rd row does not display anything. This is a known issue that plagues the longer suvs that have the 2nd overhead screen and requires splicing the video feed. I had plans yesterday afternoon and didn't have time and just got everything installed and will fix this this week. The other issue is that the IR headphones no longer work as there is no way to get the signal to the screen where the IR transmitter is. To fix this I will connect a bluetooth transmitter to the audio out for the rear on the radio and whoever is in the back can pair any bluetooth headphones and listen. This headunit does have dual zone so they can watch or listen to one thing while we listen to something else up front. Also, this radio is real easy to bypass the parking brake safety feature which allows video playback in motion but more importantly, allows the passenger to put in GPS functions while I'm driving.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pionee...sh-dvd-receiver-black/6229204.p?skuId=6229204
Do you have any after install pics? I am thinking of going with the same setup.

me88

Reaction score
After having done research about the different interfaces (PAC, Axxess, Maestro), I've come to the conclusion that the Maestro RR is the best. The PAC often has slow response to the steering wheel buttons and you lose some feature of the OEM backup sensors according to their instruction manual. The Axxess seems kinda wonky in general. The Maestro module is the only one that fully supports the digital BOSE Amp Y91, the others don't support that amp fully (no fader, ...).

Also, programming the steering wheel buttons with a computer program over USB is much more convenient than holding buttons and watching little LEDs flash, while looking in the manual what the flashes mean.

I've put a Maestro RR together with a JVC in my Tahoe and it works perfectly. The Metra 99-3305 dashkit is not a perfect fit in this application even though they say it fits, I used the Best Kits BKGMK318.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick