2012 Tahoe LTZ (Bose & Nav OEM) replacment options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasqid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello fellow "Tahoes"! I just got my third Tahoe tonight (2012 LTZ model with OEM bose radio and navigation - also rear TV drop down (behind the moon roof). My first was a 2002 (10 years ago), to a 2008, to this one. I replaced the OEM head units in each but this one perplexes me because of the DVD/TV.

I did some searching and I am getting mixed results. Learned that I suck at searching so thought I would just come out and ask.

In order to keep the most functions, which head end do you recommend when keeping the backup cam, navigation, Bluetooth (phone and music, voice over SMS A.I. assist) chimes and onstar?

Out of all the features, I am least concerned about XM Radio (and onstar). I do not subscribe to them and Ive been using my phone for years for navigation. I have discovered navigation updates (OEM) are expensive.

I have never owned a unit that had the DVD drop down for rear viewing. So besides the phone integration, backup cam, video/DVD, and keeping veh chimes/alerts, what is your successful experiences you can share to help me decide a path?

THX!
-Jeff

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hello fellow "Tahoes"! I just got my third Tahoe tonight (2012 LTZ model with OEM bose radio and navigation - also rear TV drop down (behind the moon roof). My first was a 2002 (10 years ago), to a 2008, to this one. I replaced the OEM head units in each but this one perplexes me because of the DVD/TV.

I did some searching and I am getting mixed results. Learned that I suck at searching so thought I would just come out and ask.

In order to keep the most functions, which head end do you recommend when keeping the backup cam, navigation, Bluetooth (phone and music, voice over SMS A.I. assist) chimes and onstar?

Out of all the features, I am least concerned about XM Radio (and onstar). I do not subscribe to them and Ive been using my phone for years for navigation. I have discovered navigation updates (OEM) are expensive.

I have never owned a unit that had the DVD drop down for rear viewing. So besides the phone integration, backup cam, video/DVD, and keeping veh chimes/alerts, what is your successful experiences you can share to help me decide a path?

THX!
-Jeff

Rosen GM1210...

https://www.adcmobiledealer.com/pr-gm1210-us-2/

I have this HU in my '08 Burb LTZ (factory Bose/navi with rear seat entertainment/RSE) and it checks all the boxes. And the sound quality is much better than the stock HU.

Call Walt at ADC mobile... he is a great guy to do business with.

OP
OP
J

jasqid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll check that out.!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

qcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rosen GM1210...

https://www.adcmobiledealer.com/pr-gm1210-us-2/

I have this HU in my '08 Burb LTZ (factory Bose/navi with rear seat entertainment/RSE) and it checks all the boxes. And the sound quality is much better than the stock HU.

Call Walt at ADC mobile... he is a great guy to do business with.

Sounds pretty good, but can’t seem to find the price.

RRWW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2012 Escalade & installed the Kenwood DDX9905s and Maestro Rr to retain oem features. Using the maestro t-harnesses it was pretty much plug and play. Does everything you mentioned. Displays guages / tpms info on screen. It has apple car play and wired or wireless Android auto if you wanna use those.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good, but can’t seem to find the price.

That's why I said to call Walt at ADC mobile.

Back when I bought mine a couple years ago it was around $700 if I remember correctly but you don't need any other modules to keep the factory functionality. All other aftermarket options require a couple hundred dollars worth of modules to retain the steering wheel controls and rear seat entertainment and on star and xm etc.

rex450se

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX linked below and I love it. Wireless Apple Carplay, all steering wheel controls work, rear DVD, OBD2 integration, navigation, bluetooth, it just does it all. I used the Maestro RR module with the RR-GM5+ and AV-GM5 harnesses. I just installed this yesterday and still have a couple kinks. The second row screen works fine, but the 3rd row does not display anything. This is a known issue that plagues the longer suvs that have the 2nd overhead screen and requires splicing the video feed. I had plans yesterday afternoon and didn't have time and just got everything installed and will fix this this week. The other issue is that the IR headphones no longer work as there is no way to get the signal to the screen where the IR transmitter is. To fix this I will connect a bluetooth transmitter to the audio out for the rear on the radio and whoever is in the back can pair any bluetooth headphones and listen. This headunit does have dual zone so they can watch or listen to one thing while we listen to something else up front. Also, this radio is real easy to bypass the parking brake safety feature which allows video playback in motion but more importantly, allows the passenger to put in GPS functions while I'm driving.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pionee...sh-dvd-receiver-black/6229204.p?skuId=6229204

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go with any aftermarket HU that you like and Maestro, it will retain all factory functions.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in pretty much the same boat. Just bought a 2011 Z71 and it has the stock Bose, navigation, rear seat DVD, backup cam--basically the only difference from yours is that it doesn't have Bluetooth. My last Tahoe didn't have the touchscreen so I was excited for this one but I quickly realized the stock nav system is absolute trash. Plus, I really want Bluetooth. I found this on Amazon and it looks promising, but I have zero experience with switching out a head unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Multimedia-D...y-ALPHASONIK/dp/B01M4LKXRA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I've never used Apple Carplay but my wife and I each have iphones so I think I'd like it. I really like that it will integrate with my phone/siri and I can download third party apps like Google maps.

So, does anyone have any experience with this unit or a similar one (or Apple Carplay in general)? While I've never messed with the radio I have done a lot of DIY stuff to this and my previous Tahoe so I'm fairly confident I could handle it as long as I can find a proper how-to writeup. My main concerns are preserving the features I already have--steering wheel controls, backup camera, rear seat DVD, etc. Are there any other parts I would need to buy, such as wiring harnesses or brackets or anything?